Holy Crap!!! Nobody carries zd9s around here anymore!!

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, since it's supposed to get extremely cold around here, I decided now would be the time to finally check my glow plugs. Well, 2 dead and 1 with a broken connector. I had 1 zd9 spare, and thought I had a second 1 stashed somewhere but now I can't find it. Last time I went thru them autozone actually kept them in stock, since then they quit stocking them. So out of my immediate options, I can get autolites and champions. Which is my better choice? And does anyone have a hookup for berus? My truck is setup with a manual glow.. and I never glow them for more than 10 seconds at a time. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Just don't want to put in a crap glow plug just to have the tip break off when I got to swap it back out.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't use either one. I've had both swell up in the cylinder head.
Find a Beru replacement, even if you have to get it from a member here.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
So, since it's supposed to get extremely cold around here, I decided now would be the time to finally check my glow plugs. Well, 2 dead and 1 with a broken connector. I had 1 zd9 spare, and thought I had a second 1 stashed somewhere but now I can't find it. Last time I went thru them autozone actually kept them in stock, since then they quit stocking them. So out of my immediate options, I can get autolites and champions. Which is my better choice? And does anyone have a hookup for berus? My truck is setup with a manual glow.. and I never glow them for more than 10 seconds at a time. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Just don't want to put in a crap glow plug just to have the tip break off when I got to swap it back out.

rockauto

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ordered 5 figured that will keep me in business for a few more years.. Thank you to everyone for the quick answers. I generally don't run the truck everyday, but when it has to go, IT HAS TO GO! So for now, I fixed the broken connector, and installed the 1 spare I had. So it will start on 7 for now.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ordered five what plugs... Don't try to cheap out on glow plugs... You will cause yourself so much trouble in the long run... worst case is the heads come off to remove the blown plugs.... Laugh about it but its happened several times to members here....:sly

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yep, I remember pulling a head twice on my grandpas truck back when I was just a little guy because of broken glow plugs. Believe it or not, those were the only two glow plugs we'd ever even replaced. My dad not knowing better had replaced them with autolites. Even when we retired the engine at 3/4 of a million miles that thing still had 6 of the original Motorcraft glow plugs in it. Those 6 must have been made on a Wednesday or something. lol

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Motorcraft/Beru made in Germany. Azone won't carry them any more, Ford dealers complained because they were selling them to cheap. Ford GP's $26 ea.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I got all 8 of mine, shipped, from fleabay. I think it was like $90 delivered or something stupid like that. I am due for another set of 8 for spares here soon.