Hit a Snag

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I got the motor all the freaking together and now when you turn it over it will only turn about 1/4 way either direction. I Have taken out glow plugs, injectors, took of oil pump, manifolds, injector pump, fuel pump, and it still will not turn over.

I have had the front, fear seal replaced, have not had heads off, I have taken the valve covers off to look for obstruction..

I am thinking a wrong bolt somewhere maybe or something got dropped somewhere, I dont want to take the heads off but I may have to....

Would a missing crush washer cause this?

Anyone have tips for me.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Are the pushrods and rockers in place? Did you have the timing gears apart? Sounds like the crank and cam aren't in time and a piston is touching a valve. Oh, are the water pump bolts all in the correct positions? Seem to recall if one of the longer ones is in the wrong place it can hit the timing gears.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I have the whole front of the motor off. We never removed the camgear, or crankgear. Before I replaced some things here and there it would turn over, but now its not. I am stumped along with the ones helping me.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Flywheel is off it. Its just confusing cause it once turned over until we started putting it back together. I hope I dont need to take the heads off.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
just think of what all you have changed, then start pulling it off one peice at a time, after each piece, try turning the engine, sooner or later you will find out what you done wrong

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My money is on the cumbustion cup dropped out of one of the heads and is the cylinder. Seems like you checked everything else. I can see this happening because I know mine were loose.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My money is on the cumbustion cup dropped out of one of the heads and is the cylinder. Seems like you checked everything else. I can see this happening because I know mine were loose.
Unless it fell out while he was in the process of mounting the cylinder heads, I don't think that's possible. I don't have a better picture, unfortunately, but if you look at this pic:

You must be registered for see images attach

the precombustion chambers overlap the edge of the cylinder to the point where about 1/2 of the chamber's held in place by the block surface. You can see a corresponding spot on the head gasket...I don't think it's physically possible for the precup to fall into the cylinder unless it's in pieces.

My guess is the water pump bolts...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
How long was it on the stand? WEre there any openings left large enough for a small rodent to climb in there?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online