Hit a Snag

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like some thing is too tight. Did you put new main bearings in? If so, and you didnt set the thrust bearing to the right clearance it couldve got hung up...

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Looked like the prior motor owner had a dead injector or something, cause there was all black soot build up. It is all down to the block except the crank and piston are still in. Now gotta put the dang thing all back together after I get some new head gaskets. Hope I get the crank and cam i time correctly. I gotta put #1 at TDC then line the cam up with the dots.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really cant mess this part up... There is only one way the marks will go together and you really dont need the #1 piston at TDC if you line the marks up...

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Couple days ago I had it ready to put in, today its completely apart, now I am waiting for head gaskets, no one has them in stock. Well I am gonna do some crud cleaning on it.

What caused all this build up on those two cylinder heads?
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the opposite side.

The cylinder walls look great, but has a little lip on the end, what should I do to take care of it?

I do have a question about the lifters, it looks like it has some type of hole on one side but not the other, so which direction do they go?

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be eight pieces of flat stock that are slotted. Each piece holds two injectors at a time so they cannot twist and turn. Once you start putting it together you will figure it out. I will try to post some pics. And I wouldnt worry about the hole, since these are hydraulic lifters its probably some sort of drain, or beather to help lube it up.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
There should be eight pieces of flat stock that are slotted. Each piece holds two LIFTERS at a time so they cannot twist and turn. Once you start putting it together you will figure it out. I will try to post some pics. And I wouldnt worry about the hole, since these are hydraulic lifters its probably some sort of drain, or beather to help lube it up.

Fixed it for ya;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What caused all this build up on those two cylinder heads?

My vote is for the CDR. It's famous for messing up the back cylinders, or in your case, just the back two on one side. Quite possible if for some reason the CDR is plugged in some maner that creates a diverted stream of gasses and oil.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Got my head gaskets today, got the heads on and torqued. I plan on putting the cam in next, I got the number 1 cylinder up, so I will line the two marks up and have it in time. I am just so ready to get it in the truck and running!

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regardless of where the pistons are, only one of the two sets of dots on the cam are going to match up with the crank. Just make sure not to line the marks up backwards although it would be kinda hard to do. I think all three thing match up at one time. (crank:cam and cam:ip gear)

good luck!!