Hit a bump... Heard a bang.. With pics

howards@howard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
spring hangers

It all comes as a kit from www.stengelbros.com I am to the point that I can do these in my sleep or well I have nightmares about them. good luck

torch
air chisel
garden hose to put the fire out
at least a six pack

ddec4me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I juts bought one for the front from my local wrecking yard for $25. They even let me go out in the yard and pick the one I wanted. It still had the paint on it and once I cleaned it It looked like it was new. Just a thought.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something I've been meaning to ask, but keep forgetting - has anyone experienced front hangers of rear springs rusting out? The rear J-hangers for the shackles are factory-engineered to fail, but the main hangers look of much better design...

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I got a kit today, from a local junk yard. Seems they have lots of requests for these things and sell them new. The kit came with the bracket, shackle w/bushing and enough grade 8 bolts, to do both sides. I managed to get the old assembly off and will hopefully get the new one on shortly. I'll try and get a few pics too.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Something I've been meaning to ask, but keep forgetting - has anyone experienced front hangers of rear springs rusting out? The rear J-hangers for the shackles are factory-engineered to fail, but the main hangers look of much better design...
Yes! one of my 86s front rear spring hanger rotted off and pinched the front tank filled neck
:mad:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The farther back from the engine you get, the worse the rust will be because the rear gets hit by more road crap, and at the same time gets hit by less oil leaks from the engine. Thats why these trucks rarely rust away at the front of the frame. Structurally, they are fine, but as soon as rust sets in all bets are off.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I've sold dozen's of those used locally. The local stealerships want like $300 for a pair!!! The 80-96 1/2 ton 4wd's use the same hangers as the F250 and F350 2wd and 4wd's....3" wide springs....Being in the rust belt I've had to replace them on just about every Ford that I've owned....I get $40 each used for them. Except for my F450 - now that has beefy cast steel hangers.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Wow! your dealer screws you. I get them for less than 100 a pair at the dealer. FWIF i wouldnt put a used pair on if they were given to me. JMHO

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I've only bought 2 new ones ever for my 88 F150 2wd - after getting hosed I alway's put used ones on as I always have a few sitting on the shelf....Nothing wrong with used ones as long as they are in good shape. I have used ones on my F250 and I've had over 2.5 ton on that truck several times. I bought 2 for a friends F150 4x4 new - at my buddy's dealer cost - $150 for the pair....Like hell.cookoo