hey guys I have a few questions

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so I am sitting here thinking about the 6.9 diesel and was there ever a marine 6.9? Well the reason I ask is because I have never heard of one nor see anyone talk about it.Also there are cummins engines and of course gas engines but never seen a old international diesel in a boat. Now on to the other question I have a 2wd 1500 chevy and since the city has decided not to plow this winter or if they do its 3 feet of snow. I want to put a locking diff in my chevy that is a air locker not a limited slip. I mean if its what I am thinking about it would give me better traction even after I weigh down the truck. I just want to be able to get through the snow without my 4x4 ..... I miss it sooo much but i love my gas mileage.:thumbsup:

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
As a matter of fact, we had a. Thread pop up a few days ago pertaining to marine applied international diesels, in particular, our style. So, the short answer is yes. As for the snow thing, I have no input..... I live in Florida. Lol

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never seen any 2wds plowing snow, aside from the multi-ton sand trucks the state uses. There are several companies that make air/elect lockers but I wouldnt think that would help plowing with a 2wd.

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no not plowing just if i need more traction or if i get stuck i wanna be able to say i did everything before i call a tow truck lol
and on that marine diesel does it have its own cooling system or does it use a body of water or am I getting lost

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has a locking rear but not an air type or a type I can select manually. Sometimes it is more of a curse than a blessing. My truck can go through snow the weigh it is without needing additional weight but that could be because it is 10K empty. One time a few years ago I got stuck (rare occasion) after the town had not plowed our street yet. The truck wanted to go sideways and get close to a pole. Instead of trying to keep going I got out and asked a neighbor if he could stand at the side of the truck and push the side of the truck as I would be spinning the wheels to get the truck straight. Luckily it worked and I was able to get going.

Where do you live that the city will not plow the snow on your street unless it is 3 feet?

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
circleville ohio it has been bad here every two or three years and im expecting the worse this year and the city is broke last year when we wanted the roads salted they wouldnt do it even when we had a lot of rain and it froze over. I asked a few friends that work for the city and they said the DOT will do it if it is over a foot and the city just won't do anything. except contracted out go figure.. meaning that id rather buy a locking diff so if i get stuck flip a switch and back out of the hole and be on my way.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
a locking diff such as an ARB will work ok for short distances and being stuck. however when locked it will tend to want to kick out on you. thats why you dont use it unless you need it to get out of something deep. remember....the more traction the deeper you can put yourself into a stuck too lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylerperson

Members online