HELP

jagular7

Jagular7
Reaction score
Just joined as I 4 days ago also purchased a 05 F350 crew with the 6.0TD/auto 4x4. Mine has 112k miles and is out of warranty. I went to my local Ford dealer and got a print of the warranty work previously performed on the VIN. Warranty claims is a national system for Ford. Mine has had a head gasket replaced, head bolts replaced, about every injector, and several trouble signals. Last time it was in for warranty was 2 injectors back in Oct 1997.
From what I've read so far researching the 6.0 problems, there are better ways to correct the head gasket situation. It requires a little aftermarket parts which the dealer wouldn't install under warranty. If you are paying the bill, look into ARP studs rather than the stretch bolts from Ford. Also have the injectors checked at the same time. Make sure they review the head entirely for cracks, especially between the exhaust valves and the most rear cylinder. They actually have a head kit which includes new gaskets and bolts.

There are some recommended performances things you can do to make the 6.0 perform better as well as lasting a bit more time. Oil and fuel filtration are critical. Use the recommended filters and fluids. You can add a bypass oil filter and that may double the oil change time/mileage as you get samples tested and that tells you when you change the engine. This is perfect use of a multi-use truck that may pull trailers for short periods and be a daily 20miler driver. The coolant is a special coolant specifically for the 6.0 so don't use the standard coolant. It actually will mix and become waxy and thick. Disconnecting the EGR supports the lower EGTs but makes more emissions. This also supports another trouble area of the 6.0.
Enlarging the exhaust from turbo back to 4" is another benefit.
Best thing is to keep an eye on the temps of the coolant, trans, and EGT. Keeping the fluids in the respectable temps is the best way to get the most out of your SD.

TorqueDiesel60

Reaction score
Possible problem and fix

Its probably a head gasket blow or stuck EGR valve. The OE head studs will fail, not if, when! EGR valves also become stuck or clogged and with cause the engine to puck smoke at any load. Also, having a dealer you trust is key. Their are Ford dealers that will try to f**k you over on the 6.0L at every turn. They will assume you dont know much, so I would impress apon them that you do and theys should cut some of the bulls**t. If they continue their crap, make them give you your money back and find a new dealer and truck. Thats the extreme end. If you do get the engine fixed, make SURE to get ARP. or Elite diesel engineering H-11 head studs and an EGR block plate installed while the cab is off the truck. It might void your warranty, but if you do this you shouldnt have any problems after these componets are installed.

I would refer you to Powerstrokehelp.com and Powerstrokehelps youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/powerstrokehelp

This guys knows his stuff and has work on Powerstroke for 20 yrs. His vids are very good, easy to understand and useful. Really top notch stuff.

He will also take question via email or phone. Check it out.

P.S. The 6.0L will puff white smoke at start up no matter temp if it hasnt been run that particular day, but it should clear in 2-4 secs if its not below freezing.

Hope the helps man!

-Garrett

Last edited by a moderator:

Standstrong

Frankentruck
Reaction score
Well two of my buddys are diesel mechanics so they have it at their shop. they are rippin off the front end and the top of the engine, replacing the heads with the right updates and anything else they find. I trust them. Now as far as EGR, they havent said anything about it

TorqueDiesel60

Reaction score
That good, friends who are proffesional diesel mechs. must be a god send;Sweet

EGR isnt neccesary unless you plan of making big power, but it does help with full mileage and keeping the heat out of where you dont want it (coolant, rest of engine). Plus I like the peace of mined. It can be pricey though:mad:

Anywho, good luck with it all :)

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
TorqueDiesel,

I have never seen my 6.0L puff white smoke, or any smoke on startup. Could that have something to so with the mods on your truck?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Well two of my buddys are diesel mechanics so they have it at their shop. they are rippin off the front end and the top of the engine, replacing the heads with the right updates and anything else they find. I trust them. Now as far as EGR, they havent said anything about it

Switch over to the Evans Coolant. Expensive, but it'll save that motor, no SCAs, and it will drop the engine temps quite a bit.;Sweet

TorqueDiesel60

Reaction score
I would say so, but it did puff white smoke at start up for a few seconds when it was bone stock. Unless it had been driven for a while that day it did always puff white smoke. It was very little and only for a second or two, but it was their.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online