help with hydroboost

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
does anyone have a spare f-450 brake pedal just lying around? this is the last piece in my conversion that is still missing. the yard where i was getting my parts from crushed the truck i was harvesting from and i forgot the pedal-cuss.

i'm dead in the water now, since i pulled my engine, but i still need it before i can drive it.

chris

Attachments

• MVC-352S.JPG
    MVC-352S.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 17
  • MVC-353S.JPG
    MVC-353S.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 19
  • MVC-354S.JPG
    MVC-354S.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 22
  • MVC-355S.JPG
    MVC-355S.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

diesel4me2

Reaction score
i don't know :dunno, could you measure from the bottom of the mounting location to the stud. the one thats in there now pulls the pushrod down and it rubs

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
If you don't find a pedal no big deal. I ground the weld off of my pedal and punch the pin out. Drilled a hole ~3/4" above the old hole and welded the pin in. Then I fill welded up the old hole. Works great!

diesel4me2

Reaction score
is 3/4 of an inch is all it will take? if it comes down to it, i may have to do that. how does that affect the tensile strength of the metal ? this is my daily driver and loaded up with the family and the camper i'm hard pressed to stop quickly. i'm worried about breaking the arm in a need to stop now situation.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i don't know :dunno, could you measure from the bottom of the mounting location to the stud. the one thats in there now pulls the pushrod down and it rubs

If you don't mind a slightly lower brake pedal (when released) you could stack a few washers on the bottom two bolts between the booster mounting bracket and the firewall - this will pull the bottom of the bracket forward a bit and tilt the whole booster slightly back and down at the same time, which should take care of your linkage binding issue. This is actually exactly how I have mine set up, the spacers I have are thicker in the lower side then they ate at the top, resulting in a slightly tilted booster and master cylinder, and a linkage that shoots straight back at the pedal pin when the pedal is at the position where the brakes start applying.

diesel4me2

Reaction score
so heres an update. it's in, just wiring it up now. still looking for a brake pedal, and does anyone know if an holley blue fuel pump can be mounted in a flat position?

Attachments

• engine1.jpg
    engine1.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 21

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I drilled a hole in the brake pedal about 2 1/2 years ago and it works as good as the first day, just make sure the rod rides flat and use good lube on the pedal gallery.

Don't know about the fuel pump, I remember the red holley works up straight.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just mod the pedal, it is good steel, I have panicked stopped the truck with the camper, trailer and or the jeep on and no problems. And I have big feet and a hard push.
Motorized pumps need to mount vertical or the bushings will wear very fast.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can buy a F-450 pedal from Ford. I didn't like the idea of modifying mine either. However, once you have hydroboost installed, you can stop on a dime with just your big toe, so the amount of force needed will be less than ever on that pin.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
However, once you have hydroboost installed, you can stop on a dime with just your big toe, so the amount of force needed will be less than ever on that pin.

Unless some moron just about pulls out in front of you cause he didn't look yer way until he hears a dually with all 6 locked up and only 100' away traveling at 55mph.:eek:

I never want to hit that brake pedal ever again that hard.-cuss

I did have to laugh at the look on his face when the screaming tires caught his attention.LOL