Help with choosing new used truck

bears4x4

jack of all trades
Reaction score
I looking for a lower mileage truck, I have found a
••••150,000 mile 03 2500 4X4 5.9L Diesel. Auto Trans 4 Dr Sb Cloth Interior. Bedliner. Banks Six Gun. Step Bars. For 16000
••••107,000 mile 03 f350 4x4 6.0L diesel auto trans 4dr LB cloth interior, stock for 15000. Which way should i go??????????
I like both so I'm stuck............. Both have service records also

FordGuy100

Reaction score
If I were to buy a 6.0 I would budget 3-4k in deletes to make it more trustworthy. Head studs, EGR delete, those types of things. I do like the fact that it has lower miles.

What tranny in the dodge? The 5r110 behind the 6.0's are pretty darn good, dodge auto's are a little more iffy.

If the dodge was manual I would probably go with that one.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
bears,

Having almost itentical setup as the 03.... (Mine is wrapped in an Excursion insteed of pickup) I am right at 110,000 thousand miles and a, 100% stock. If the service records look good, and you can get an OASIS report and it is clean, I would not hesitate to get the 6.0. I've had mine for 4 years, and I have replaced the shocks, due to a spring thaw crater, and need to replace the track bar bushings, brakes, alternator, batteries, and oil and oil and fuel filters. They are a good engine. Make sure to drive it like you stole it once a week, that keeps the EGR and Turbo cleaned and exersized. I would jump in mine and drive it anywhere without hesitation (and as far as I could afford fuel for). You do not have to do all the deletes and mods to make them reliable in stock trim. Mine has all the "must be removed/deleted" parts and I have no issues. This is my personal exprerience, other have had trouble. I know that power adders can cause issues in the 6.0, they are turned up alot from Ford (325hp/590tp). The only time mine has not started is when I had the alternator/battery issues........

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both of those trucks and the cummins definately is my favorite, the 6.0 drives nice and is great for road trips, but my 5.9 will jerk it in half. both have their good points, but for the money and resale value id go cummins.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
I'd go Ford. I do love the Cummins but the rest of the truck isnt the greatest. The 6.0 is a great motor as long as it doesnt have the normal issues arrising with it. I agree with Fordguy and factor in doin all the deletes too. Its a sweet ass motor when you get the bugs worked out. Plus the frame and cab are the best out of all the manufacturers.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dodge/Cummins all the way. I'll never own another Ford with a 6.OhNo unless I bought it to yank it out and drop in a Cummins.

The Ford is a better riding, roomier and more comfortable truck and IMHO that's where it ends. The Dodge has been more dependable, pulls better, way better fuel economy and cheaper to maintain and repair.

I traded my 06 F350 6.0 I owned for about 6 months for an 04.5 Dodge with the 5.9 to transport RVs professionally and it was a very good decision.

I get the same fuel milage towing my 9000 lb 32' fifth wheel with the Dodge as I did running empty with the Ford. Empty my Dodge spanks the Ford by 8 mpg. Those are hand calculated numbers.

bears4x4

jack of all trades
Reaction score
The 6.0 has had the egr and head gaskets replaced at a ford dealer,Has the banks ram air - cold air set , boost, trans temp, egt, oil temp gauges in it, other than that it's clean , the dodge has the banks six gun in it, I don't know if that means anything bad or good but stock other wise . Mixed emotions lol, this isn't easy

bears4x4

jack of all trades
Reaction score
Well ended up getting an 05 f250 , 75k on it, counldnt believe I got it for what I did, clean as can be with a few upgrades on it, I have a a few mods to do but I can't do to much till warranty is up, 2 year bumper to bumper with it so thanks for all the info .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online