Help! Vacum pump?

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
ok here is a Vacuum pump?
who has the cheapest?
mine is going south and the brakes are getting scary....

FORD wanted $235:puke:

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
ok here is a Vacuum pump?
who has the cheapest?
mine is going south and the brakes are getting scary....

FORD wanted $235:puke:
I can't answer ur question but what do you mean by scary? I'm having brake issues too. One wheel locks up & others don't feel like they're hitting at all. Major scary sometimes. I've put new shoes & drums in the back with no improvement. Never have brake dust on front wheels either. Cylinders are ggod too. Whats that leave?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
ok so one how do you change oil in a vac pump two why would you put oil in it and three what type of oil can you use???

Inside the mechanical vacuum pump is basicallt a cam lobe, and a rod with a spring connected to the diaphragm. As the pulley turns it pushes down on the rod and moves the diaphragm to create the vacuum we need to operate the brakes, heater controls, cruise control, etc.

If you take the pump off the truck, there is a little 10MM bolt in the back. It's full of oil. It should be changed every once in a while to make sure it don't wear out. I did mine last summer, but I forgot all about it till I read this post.

Electric pumps don't have oil inside.

zpd307

Reaction score
it is very worth it to check/change the oil in the vacuum pump! i had one go out from having no oil in it, tore up all the belts. what a pain to drive with no power brakes.... i put a used one on and later found out about the oil. good thing, because i checked the pump and it had no oil in it!

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
it is very worth it to check/change the oil in the vacuum pump! i had one go out from having no oil in it, tore up all the belts. what a pain to drive with no power brakes.... i put a used one on and later found out about the oil. good thing, because i checked the pump and it had no oil in it!
That just might be my problem..... No Power Brakes:eek: