HELP Slave Cylinder Problems

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around a month ago i changed my clutch from the stock DMF to a Southbend SMF.

I havnt even put 1000kms on the truck since i did the clutch due to the gear rattle from the SMF.

Well today on my way home i went to push the clutch in and the first half of the pedal was nothing...so i went to let the clutch out and it only came up about half way. I immediately went to pull over and as i was coming to a stop i went to put the clutch in and when i released the pedal it didnt come back up. So i pull over shut the truck off and go right to the master cylinder which has the fluid right where it should be. I then go back into the truck and push the clutch in and about half way through the travel i felt a slight resistance and then it shot right to the floor. So i pull the clutch back up and check the master cylinder again. Now the fluid is like half of what it should be. So i think maybe the fluid is leaking somewhere under the truck and i climb under to take a look and what do i see....well my slave cylinder is just hanging there under the truck. Im wondering if there is someway i can check the slave to make sure its alright or do i just have to put it back in place? Im thinking the slave probably took a dump on me.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, where to start. If your slave came apart or shows any moisture then just replace it and bleed all the old fluid out of the system. The slave is held in place by a clip. Is it still in place? If not then there could be 2 reasons. You didn't install the clip correctly, the fork slipped off the pivot, or there is a bind in your clutch. First thing to do is get the slave installed properly.
I do have another concern. You said the clutch pedal came back up only halfway. Even if slave failed it should have still come back up all the way.
Funny thing happens sometimes. New parts cause inferior parts to fail.
Once I rebuilt a 5.7 diesel and used the old but working starter. A week later the starter failed.