Help please, lost brakes.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
92 F450, 7.3, ZF 5 speed. Hydro-boost brakes, disk on all 4, DRW.

Went for the brakes on a normal stop and peddle went soft, but I still had brakes so drove home... normal stop and go traffic.. brakes got progressively worse. Got home and checked fluid reservoir and master cylinder is nearly bone dry... Refilled and started checking for leaks... found one at the valve I don't know what it's called.

Valve is located at rear cross member of the frame, has a lever that goes down to the differential. Appears to adjust brake pressure to compensate for load in the bed of truck?

What the hell is it, where can I get one, and what's a good ball park price?.. It's leaking a steady drip of brake fluid when I push and hold peddle pressure.. I think that's the problem.

Hydroboost works, pads are all good, no leaks anywhere else.
Help please.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Anti Lock brake control...helps keep the rear brakes from locking up when the rear end unloads from a stop and weight shifts forward. I'm guessing an auto parts store should be able to get them, probably dealer as well, we used to be able to get them in A1/Cardone remanufactured.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is called a load compensating proportioning valve. As vehicle is loaded, more pressure is allowed to the back brakes.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies. Now that I know what I'm looking for I even have a Ford Stealership part number and a price.

Please take a seat and install a fresh depends. Part Number F8TZ2B373HRM .... Ford Dealer can get one in 3 days estimate... price... $661.58 ...... ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

Ok, now you know why I said to put on a fresh depends. I spent the afternoon chasing rainbows trying to find anyone who sold them besides dealer only.. so far no luck... can anyone suggest where I might find one, for something less than 1/2 the value of the truck? A rebuild? Anyone know if the F450 uses same valve as F350?

Help again... please

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you go with original setup, check rockauto.com. Just looked at their part # search with the # you posted and it showed Motorcraft Reman. with core $410.89 and without a core $510.89. And one other shop that i use too is http://www.tousleyfordparts.com and that site shows the same msrp than your dealer, but online price is $436,51 with core...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just take it off. The earlier trucks did not come with them, and you will have no problem with operation at all if you do away with it. I have Hyrdroboost on the Moose Truck, and yeah it is possible to lock the rear end up, but if you're using that much brake, you probably won't mind having the back end lock up. Trust me! That extra noise of squealing tires helps get that person in front of you to move! LOL

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mel, at $661 for a part that "might help sometime" but failed and left me without brakes, I like your suggestion best. Seems Ford engineers out did themselves on this one. Not to teach myself how to block it off without defeating the rest of the brake system... Hmmmm..

Looks like I better take some pictures on this project?

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed the load adjusting/compensating valve (?) from the rear axle on my truck years ago and the brakes have worked fine since. At least as good as the Ford brakes tend to work. You will be fine to drive without the load compensating valve as Mel said.
That $661 can buy you parts for other jobs that need doing.