help out a newbie

Danmerica

Reaction score
I've looked at 2 trucks this week. One is a 94 f350 xlt turbo 5 speed drw crew cab has decent interior and ok body with a couple good dents on the dually fenders, but overall good sound truck except 3rd gear is kinda rough engaging.

Next is a 94 f350 na 5 speed crew cab xl, it has a better interior better body but its BASE model truck. It runs pretty damn good and shifts smooth.

I really like the first one but that rough 3rd gear worries me. Could this be a big prob. Both have have been maintained well engine wise so that's not an issue.
Sellers price are 3000 for the dually and 2600 for the other. What's yalls advice?

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you need a DRW, I would go for the SRW. NA or not, IMO

Danmerica

Reaction score
They're both nice truck and will fit the bill, I just wish the srw was a turbo xlt. It appears it was prob a company truck that was mainly driven with no passengers because the pass seat has very slight wear and the back appears to be completely spotless. I have seen xl's b4 that had a few more options than this one, its as base as you can get. One plus I guess is that the seller has a spare injection pump he's throwing in with the truck, he said it works but I don't know for sure.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you have the scratch to budget in a rebuilt ZF? if so, get the dually. when mime surfaced for sale back in 2004, I WU'd the seller and was on the next plane to STL to close the deal. CC dually XLT's w/5spd are rare animals.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Are this the only two You found? Unless You need DRW I would look for a srw 4X4 with all the goods You want. A rebuild zf will cost at around $1k + core.

Danmerica

Reaction score
In my area I have not seen one idi 4x4. I've seen a lot of single cabs the most. I need a ext cab or cc, I really like the cc's. I looked at a few others most have trashed interiors or wrecked. Or neglected engines. A rebuild trans can be done but I don't have like 2500+ if it takes that much. I just really like that dually xlt I was just concerned about the rough trans.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
In my area I have not seen one idi 4x4. I've seen a lot of single cabs the most. I need a ext cab or cc, I really like the cc's. I looked at a few others most have trashed interiors or wrecked. Or neglected engines. A rebuild trans can be done but I don't have like 2500+ if it takes that much. I just really like that dually xlt I was just concerned about the rough trans.

There is a seller on ebay, used to sell them for like $950 + core for a rebuilt unit.
Don't know how mechanically inclined You are but rebuilding a manual trans isn't so hard, well at least AFAIK which is 5spds. Get new synchronizer bands and bearings, change synchronizer if it pops out of gear, make sure You have a good manual to follow and You are good to go. Most can be done in a day with all the parts or a couple weeks waiting for the parts to arrive.
I rather have the good and fix them than buying something incomplete and hunt for parts. I only do this with My 93 ford for sentimental reasons.

Danmerica

Reaction score
There is a seller on ebay, used to sell them for like $950 + core for a rebuilt unit.
Don't know how mechanically inclined You are but rebuilding a manual trans isn't so hard, well at least AFAIK which is 5spds. Get new synchronizer bands and bearings, change synchronizer if it pops out of gear, make sure You have a good manual to follow and You are good to go. Most can be done in a day with all the parts or a couple weeks waiting for the parts to arrive.
I rather have the good and fix them than buying something incomplete and hunt for parts. I only do this with My 93 ford for sentimental reasons.

So what would make it have a rough 3rd just curious. I've done some looking online and found that 2 rebuild kits are sold one is around 200 and the other is 500 besides price what's the difference and would the cheaper one work.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
the rough 3rd gear is not that big of deal. my 93 was rough and grinded going into 4th. drove it for almost a year like that and never got worse. it didnt really bother me just pulled it in quick.

Danmerica

Reaction score
the rough 3rd gear is not that big of deal. my 93 was rough and grinded going into 4th. drove it for almost a year like that and never got worse. it didnt really bother me just pulled it in quick.

True but I want it to be right

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You need to open it up to know, can guess a lot before finding what really is wrong with it.
Also the kit will have things like seals, gaskets, and main bearings which is good to replace them while You're at it. The problem on 3rd could be many things in that area like the fork, synchro band or the synchro itself, I'm not a professional but I've done some of mine this is the advice I can offer for that.

Hope You get it for a good price.

Danmerica

Reaction score
You need to open it up to know, can guess a lot before finding what really is wrong with it.
Also the kit will have things like seals, gaskets, and main bearings which is good to replace them while You're at it. The problem on 3rd could be many things in that area like the fork, synchro band or the synchro itself, I'm not a professional but I've done some of mine this is the advice I can offer for that.

Hope You get it for a good price.

He was asking 3k for it is that a fair price with a trans prob. I didn't make him an offer yet but he said he would let me know if he had any other offers since I looled at it first.