help needed with E4OD O/D button and O/D light

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The O/D switch and the O/D light are no good on my truck. I want to replace them with a simple push button and an LED mounted in the dash. How can I do this? An E4OD wiring diagram would be great. I have an ATSG service manual but it's just about worthless when it comes to wiring.

I'm assuming the O/D button can be replaced with a momentary "on" push buttom, right? Is the computer looking for a ground signal from the O/D switch? 12 v. positive? or what?

And I'm assuming the wire that would normally turn the O/D light on could be used to turn on a Bosch type replay. And the relay would turn on the LED. Or is the relay not needed? I figure using a relay would be the safest way to prevent from frying the computer. Does the computer provide a ground signal from the O/D light? 12 v. positive? or what?

Thanks for any help.

Dave

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A new shift lever at Ford dealer is $57. One bolt and one pin three wires plug and play. Remove the steering wheel cover, two screws, check the wires out, red,green and yellow IIRC.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will a new shift lever also fix a sloopy (loose) shifter? Never messed with an airbag steering wheel before....what do I need to know so as to not destroy things or set it off? Thanks.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the links and suggestions.

I can add a push button and a switch with parts I already have on hand. And hopefully the loose shifter is just a couple loose screws. On top of that, I need to spend the bare amount of money on this truck(at least for now). So back to square one....how can I add a light and a push button? I found a wiring diagram but I'm not sure if it accurately depicts how a stock truck would be. If it is accurate, then it is easy enough for me to figure out how to add a light and a switch. Is this picture basically accurate when compared to a stock truck?

If I add a light and a switch, is it worthwhile taking pictures and doing a write-up for this group? Or does nobody care?

Thanks again for the help.
Dave

Attachments

• e4odwrg.gif
    e4odwrg.gif
    22.7 KB · Views: 36

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the links and suggestions.

I can add a push button and a switch with parts I already have on hand. And hopefully the loose shifter is just a couple loose screws. On top of that, I need to spend the bare amount of money on this truck(at least for now). So back to square one....how can I add a light and a push button? I found a wiring diagram but I'm not sure if it accurately depicts how a stock truck would be. If it is accurate, then it is easy enough for me to figure out how to add a light and a switch. Is this picture basically accurate when compared to a stock truck?

If I add a light and a switch, is it worthwhile taking pictures and doing a write-up for this group? Or does nobody care?

Thanks again for the help.
Dave

Dave, here is how it works - you likely have three wires going to the shifter, one is 12V key-on and is the common power feed for both the momentary switch and the "OD off" LED, one pin is signal feed from the switch to the PCM, and the other is PCM-controlled ground for the LED. In other words both the LED and the switch itself get power when ignition is on, then when you press the shifter button the switch momentarily sends power to the PCM, and the PCM will then ground the LED to light it up and thus inform you that your request for OD cancel has been accepted. Under the dash or possibly inside the steering column under the plastics there will be a connector for the shifter harness - if you cut harness on the shifter side leaving yourself an inch or more of leads attached to the connector you can extend the wires to a new location for your new switch and LED, then if you ever get around to installing a new shifter you just unplug your creations and plug the new shifter back into the factory harness. My wiring diagrams indicate that the the common 12V power supply for switch and LED is red w/ yellow tracer, the PCM-controlled ground for the LED is white w/ light green tracer, and the signal feed from the switch to the PCM is "T/W" which I interpret as teal wire (I know, right, *** color is that) w/ white tracer. So extend those to wherever you want the new switch and LED, then hook up the teal/whiet wire to one end of your switch, the white/green wire to one end of your LED, and finally feed power to the other ends of both the LED and the switch w/ the red/yellow wire. Clear as mud?

By the way sloppy shifter could be loose cable arm at the bottom of the column (the two torx bolts mentioned already), but it may also be worn plastic bushings for the shifter tube itself - obviously tightening the bolts fixes the first issue, and as for bushings electrical tape wrapped around whatever is left of yours may just build up enough thickness to stop the slop.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool...thank you. I know how to wire it provided the Baumann wiring is the same as Ford's wiring. And from what you describe, it is.

T/W = tan with white tracer?? maybe??

Dave

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the batteries before working on it, then the air bags can't deploy. But you shouldn't have to get anywhere near them. Just take the cover off, three screws on the underside.