Help identifying this engine

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
So I've had this engine for a couple years now. I pulled it out of a chassis cab 85 pickup that was owned by a local construction company. As the story goes the original motor died of old age so this one was purchased as a completely new turn key engine from either a IH or Ford dealer. Supposedly it has less than 5k miles on it now, but I don't know for sure.

I do know it's a 6.9 and it came with painted grey BB code injectors. What can you tell me based off the numbers found on the front left side of the block?

6.9DU2U085025

Thanks for any help ;Sweet

Ford F834

Reaction score
It is a B block (made after the undesirable A block with the block heater problem s/n 59208 and earlier), but not yet the better re-enforced "85" block (s/n 173828 and later). It is a good block unless you are going for a serious performance build and want the strongest possible block. Here is a list of changes and the corresponding s/n breaks:

You must be registered for see images attach

Black dawg

Reaction score
That is interesting about the champion glowplugs. I know a guy that worked at ihc back in the day, and he has always insisted that champion glowplugs were better (then) and that they came with them originally. I guess he does remember correctly.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Thanks for the breakdown ;Sweet I've been keeping this as a spare for my 91 just in case I ever need it. Was thinking about adding some new head gaskets and head studs. Sounds like it should be a good engine for my needs---hopefully I never need it LOL