Help identifying Autometer tach

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
So just got this tach, its an older one and I think it'll need a new sender. I can't figure out the model number though. Sorry for the pics just got back after a loong day.

You must be registered for see images attach

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As best I can tell from your pictures, I have had that same tach for decades.

I ?think? it is a model #9003, maybe.

That sender straps on the alternator, astraddle the seam, in about the ten-o'clock position.

When mine resided on the original 1G alternator, the sender was clamped in place via a long hose-clamp.

Now that it is on the 110-555 Leece-Neville, I used a long fat zip-tie to hold it in place.

There should be a tiny screw in the rear of the tach that permits fine-tuning of the needle reading.

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread but I have been considering buying one of the tachs like above. I know there is an adjustment for fine tuning but how do you do that when you don't know your actual engine speed. I mean that is why I am adding one of these to my truck.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Thanks MIDNIGHT RIDER, this sender is very corroded looking so I'm doubtful it will even work. But it was free so I won't complain. As far as cal

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Thanks MIDNIGHT RIDER, this sender is very corroded looking so I'm doubtful it will even work. But it was free so I won't complain. As far as calibration, use an optical tach, timing light with rpm readout or somethin like a tiny tach

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Better picture, can't find anything searching for 9003

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have to look at mine to be certain, but I believe mine is labeled "AUTO GAGE"; that is what AUTOMETER used to be; same company, just a different name.

I bet that sender will read; just zip-tie it to any alternator, gas or diesel, and jumper the HOT and GROUND; crank up the engine and see what it does.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I did exactly that a little while ago, got nothing. Investigated a little and both wires are broke away from the sensor windings

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
So cut the white/black wire from the old sensor and connected it to the stator on my 3g alt. Bam working tach, seems accurate from idle-governor. Once I find a handheld optical tach locally I'll dial it in a little better.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So cut the white/black wire from the old sensor and connected it to the stator on my 3g alt. Bam working tach, seems accurate from idle-governor. Once I find a handheld optical tach locally I'll dial it in a little better.

I always wondered if that could be done with that type of tach.

The VDO tach in the wife's truck connects inside the alternator.

I just took a better look at my tach and it registers to 6 ( X 1000 ), instead of 5 like yours.

The model number is 2308; I don't know where my mind came up with that other number.