HELP...I broke it

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well sparky (86 6.9) was getting a new IP and injectors so she could make it through emissions and I snapped the elbow that comes off the IP and heads to the hard return line running down the valley pan. I dont have pics yet, but basically I have the elbow with a small piece still connected attached to the return line, but no way to connect it to the new IP

what do i need to do to get her back on the road?

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your average auto parts store whould have it or replace it with a good fuel injections style hose rated for diesel and a barb

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you need? You need a new elbow (sorry for the NSS moment LOL)

I did that with mine too. As a temporary fix I extracted the broken piece and used solder to repair it. Then uses LOTS of teflon tape so it could still seal reasonably well without having anywhere near as much torque on it. Eventually a local diesel injection shop gave me a replacement but ran the truck for months with the temporary repair. Autoparts stores near me didn't have an exact match.

In theory it might be possible to braze or even tig weld it but I never tried.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
based on all this it sounds like i am correct in my assumption that this is a regular low pressure return line, just a little bigger

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its a low pressure fitting. Almost gravity feed to the return system. Any good injection pump rebuild shop will have one. Or a wrecking yard. I have been "looking" in the local wrecking yards for just such a time as this. Sorry I don't have one at this time. Another member here needed one a while back and I sent him my last one. I'll start another "mission" on Monday...:sly

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what I figured...the down side is the odds of finding an idi in one of our wrecking yards is pretty slim....since I have lived in phoenix I have been able to find maybe 5 total, an the largest yard pulls the motor when the truck arrives....its pretty cool, you call and ask "do you have any ford diesels" they say "yeah, come on down"...after you pay the admission and start looking around you go ask "where are they'...to which they respond "over there, but we pulled the motors".

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
I can't tell you how many parts I have replaced on trucks and cars out of the plumbing isle at Lowe's.Just take the parts and hit them.Match the ends and go with it.Not like it has the space shuttle.If you can find something with teh same threads and a barb end use it.Even if you have to buy an elbow and a straight NPT to barb fitting and make a new assembly.Heck,For a while I was using a piece of aquarium air line as a return line on my deuce till I decided to replace it.Was getting soft due to my odd ball mixture of mystery fuels.Got a peice of Race car fuel hose hose clamped over the copper fuel line under another truck to replace a section with a hole.The air system on white lightning is a mixture of copper and ice maker line.Got a sprinkler NPT to barb fitting on one of my deece for a oil drain from the turbo.Just cause it is for water doesn't mean it ain't the same stuff at the parts store.Heck,for about a quarter of the price you can normally get the parts at the plumbing house.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what I was looking at....looks like that return line is just copper tubing, fittings are brass....I think I am gonna cut the hard return line to be just a straight section running the length of the intake, flair it and the go barbed, then come out of the IP with a barbed fitting. One of these days I would love to find a way to swap ALL (read injector lines as well as returns) to braided flex.

Thanks for all the tips....cant wait to see how she runs after the swap as she was running real solid (except for the constant haze) before....three of the injectors were painted IH Blue (and the truck has 370k on it)

Next question will be what do I need to do as far as timing....

gatorman21218

Reaction score
three of the injectors were painted IH Blue (and the truck has 370k on it)

Next question will be what do I need to do as far as timing....

Im going to ask a stupid question. IH Blue?:confused: Was the engine originally in a IH Vehicle? Cuz I know My engine was painted grey from the factory.

X2 on the Lowes plumbing section. All of my fittings for my gauges and coolant filter came from Lowes (and Ace, which is much closer to me)

As for timing you'll want to find someone with a timing meter or a shop to do it for you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online