help design a flatbed...should i even do a flatbed?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at my old box, the floor is dented to holy hell and back and is getting pretty rusty, nothing terrible-easy fix.
Been thinking about building a wooden flatbed with a steel frame.
Truck is a 91 f350 on an 06 F350 CCLB frame on 37s.

First Q-should I design it similar to the style side box, where it has a few cross members which are bolted to the frame, and the members are welded to the outer frame as well? Flatbed dimanesion would be 8'x6'

Also, I like when the flatbed is a little higher up, so the bottom of the flatbed is more or less same height as the top of the front wheel arch. Can I stack wood on the frame to ge tthe deck of the bed to sit higher?

What material shoud my perimeter frame and cross members be made out of?

finally..pros and cons of a flatbed?
-i know i cant throw loose scrap in a flatbed-unless i make some sturdy-removable sides. Or make them fold down?
I want to put one of those 1000 lb cranes behind the cab over the frame rail if i make a flatbed to load axles, oil drums, etc onto the deck.
Thinking twin underbed lockable toolboxes on either side infront of the rear wheel to keep my tiedown straps and general tools in there.

Sorry for the rant, just hashing ideas out.
Thanks for any insight.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this looks sweet:
You must be registered for see images attach

this doesnt:
You must be registered for see images

the bed sits way too low and makes the truck look like it has a saggy bum.

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a flatbed on my 93 CCLB 4x4. I love it. My truck is on 37's as well. I wouldn't go back to having a regular bed. I have removable sides that fit in the stake pockets. The bed measures a little wider that 6' and a full 8' long. I can get you some more pics later if you would be interested.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1405002104820.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405002104820.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 83

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice!
my only concern is hauling gravel and dirt. I guess if the sides were build solid enough it should be fine?

what size steel did you use for the perimeter and cross members?
your bed height is very good, looks tough and not droopy.
what did you do to make it sit up so high?

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The perimeter, headache rack and center rails are 3" c-channel.. The crossmembers are 2x4 steel tubing spaced every 12". You really cant tell it from the pic but the bed sits on 4x4 steel tubing 1/4" wall so the rise of the frame over the rear axle did not factor into the install. There are a few more things I want to do to it but it is great for now.

oztinker47

Reaction score
here's my truck, hope this helps, it has an oak and steel flatbed with drop sides, sorry about the pics, my Internet connection makes dial up look good

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you are using a loading dock, lower beds are much easier to use and have more headroom for tall items. In fact, I prefer to use a trailer that sits even lower to the ground to move pretty much everything.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle