help dd broken down

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
i went to replace my thermostat and took off the wires on my fuel filter. well everythings together and i am leaking tons of fuel out of the top of the filter head where the wire plugs in. i think its for the fuel heater. or vacuum meter. it is just a plastic fitting with a connector running threw it. the fuel is leaking out of where the piece of metal goes threw it for the connector. and to top it off i crushed my fingers mid way threw this project and will loose a finger nail or two plus i have 2 broken fingers.

so where can i get the part to fix this or what are my other options?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the part is finished.
if you need to get to work tomorrow morning, get some JB weld putty and cram the opening full of the stuff after drying off as much fuel as you can.
don't worry too much about the wetness though, I use the stuff to emergency patch fuel tanks that have bee punctured.
try at all cost not to get the stuff on the aluminum housing though.
the part is avail new at ford or IH at a serious premium.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
ok thanks ill go put some jb on there right now.

what is the part called and will i need the whole filter head?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Is it the oval looking connector on top of the filter head, If so I had the same prob and it was the o rings on the filter head. PM me your email and i will email you some directions for replacing it but i will warn you to be careful there are lots of parts up there that you have to be very gentle with.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got the eniter filter assembly from a 6.9 if your interested. I also might have one off of a 7.3 here soon.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
thanks guys, redneckaggie i found the folder with directions you posted before and it was very helpful.

gonecrazyj i think the 6.9s have a different style but if you get a 7.3 one i will probably take you up on it so i have a spare.

i have everything apart right now and both of the o rings appear to be fine, but i guess the smaller inside one just wasnt sealing right. im going to put it back together with some gasket maker around the orings and hopefully it will work out.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is called the fuel heater. In Florida you probably don't need it. You can thread it out and plug the hole, but if you move to a cold area you will need to replace the whole unit.

If it is leaking between the plastic and the housing it is the o-rings. Mine leaked thru the wires and the plastic, that means replacement. $150 in Ca.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, ill get back to you. It all depends on what happens to the 7.3 in one of our other trucks.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
ok no big rush, i THINK i have fixed this one. there are two o rings in this thing and they were both ok i think i just disrupted the seal or something, i put everything back together with gasket maker rated for use with diesel so hopefully it will work out, im going to let it dry over night then we will see tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online