!HELP! Can anyone tell me the factory settings for IP on a 93 factory turbo?

countrydog

Reaction score
Hey guys Noob to the forum here! I have a 1993 factory turbo 7.3 that was turned way up by the prev owner. I want to return it back to stock setting and then adjust it from there. I have looked through a bunch of different articles on here and can't seem to find the factory settings. My main question is when people are talking about turning their pumps up 2 flats(ex.) is that from all the way down (least amount of fuel) or from factory setting? The old girl runs great, but she tends to get warm on the interstate pulling in junk/salvaged cars weighing in around 10k total. If I barely give it any throttle all is fine, but when I give her over 1/4 to 3/8 she'll start black smoking and temp gauge will start to rise after a few min. Also the wastegate is turnbuckled shut and at full rpm and full throttle she'll hit 12-14 psi on my gauge. This old dog has the ZF 5spd, '04 SD axles and 3.73's. Unloaded this thing runs like a beast! ; I know I need an EGT gauge what is the best bang for your buck(affordable)? I would really appreciate any and all input/tips guys!

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice truck I would turn it one flat down at a time an check it you don't wanna over torque that screw and snap it.

linkman440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The beat Pyro you can get for the price I belive is the auber instruments one. I have one and love it. So do a handfull of other guys on here

countrydog

Reaction score
Well I just turned her down so it will just black haze at full throttle in 4th. I hope that will solve the problem. It took a couple of times for trial and error. I think all in all I turned it down maybe 3/4 to a full turn. Where are you guys getting these pyro's? I advanced the pump timing a little a while back as I had some blue haze/smoke at idle. Now she clears up in just a few seconds after start. Its maybe a dimes width advanced past straight on with the timing mark. Maybe my mileage will increase a little too. I was averaging 17-20mpg's depending on how fast I was driving. Does anyone else have any tips? Where do I get the strips for cavitation? this old girl has 230,*** on her but the guy I got it from said It had a salvage yard engine with 80k on it. I don't know what I believe cuz people will say anything to sell a car. Thanks for the input guys :)

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I wouls forget about the SCA strips, there difficult to read any how. Since you ptolly don't know what coolant is in there, Get 4 gallons of Fleet Gard and 4 gallons of steam distilled water. Drain the system including the block (drain plug on each side) flust with water, then drain again. The Fleet Gard is good for 100,000 miles and it contains the SCA's in it. There other brands.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7