help, burnt up belt 50 miles from home

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
ok so i'm moving my folks and i'm using my buddies 2001 7.3 powerstroke ats turbo f350. pulling away from a stop sign SQUELLLLLLLLLL. pull over, pop hood and noting but smoke, burnt rubber, and SQUELLLLLLLLL. check everything, low power steering fulid. fill half a pint(aprox) squelllll quits down, only half mile to house, pull out, squelll gone. 1/4 mile BANG, belts hanging from under carrage, coast to house, no power steering, alt light on, park. open hood all pullys free wheel, ecept the one with two on it. one smooth one ribbed. ribbed pully wont spin. i'm not fimilar with power strokes, what is it?
no belt routing under hood. it looks about in the same spot as my vacuum pump on my IDI. any info would be helpful.
chris

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Unless your buddy has done some belt mods under the hood there's only one and that's the serpentine belt. The vac pump pulley is usually the one that goes South.

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
thank you for your reply. well 94 dollars and a 5 mile walk(one way) :puke: yesterday and the truck is up again. one of the pullys on the dual idler pully locked up. i thought the squelllll was the power steering pump(lack of fulid) turns out it was just low. the squellll stoped when the belt started to melt. my first post was done while i was walking to the parts store(cell phone) :hail . did i break some cardinall rule by posting this here ? or is the force with the dark side not that strong:confused: . mabye i over reacted, i had been awake for 29 hours at that point, but i thought this was the right place to post it. i had a truck with a 32 foot 5er, my children, my brother, my self, my parents stuff, in a new construction subdivison with limited utillites at this point. anyways, thank you again for your reply. the truck is up and running, i finally got some sleep after 35 hours, and nothing broke durring the move.
chris

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
No rules broken, you got the right place, just on a weekend when few folks are around.
Glad you got it going, now get some sleep bud :D