HELP!!! Anyone in or near West Ga....

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We just got a 95 7.3 PS , it has sat for 2 years. I tried taking starter off today to check it, and the very bottom bolt was a real ******. Could not get it loose. Someone on the PS forum suggested I post here as he said there are people in GA that might could help. I know we need to change the serpentine belt, but I am not familiar enough with this engine, since my previous truck was a 91 7.3 IDI. Hubby is just not mechanical, so pretty much it is me with some knowledgeable help or haul it to the mechanic.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you still have the belt layout decal on the front? If not I'll post a pic of it.
To change the belt, IIRC use a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar, should fit in the tensioner pulley, lift up, slide belt off of one of the pulleys.

On the starter bolt, use a six point socket, twelve point might round off the corners.

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't get a cheater bar on the wrench where the bolt is at , not enough room, tried it yesterday. Tried every kind of lube, including PB Blaster.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before you go any further, put at least one more bolt back in the starter. Then with a screw driver, short it across the starter relay on the fender, with the key off, see in the pic the two RED wires and the large bolts they are connected too, short across them, see if the engine turns over, it may be the relay is bad or the key switch is bad, if the starter is bad it will NOT turn the engine over. Also check the large red wire on the starter,could be loose.

Did you understand about the Serp idler pulley?

Attachments

• Starter_relay_93-94.JPG
    Starter_relay_93-94.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 45

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
The tensioner can be a pain. So can the starter but I did 6 on one truck. Maybe to much time in the mud with that one. Do you a multimeter? Just follow the power and check all grounds.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you go any further, put at least one more bolt back in the starter. Then with a screw driver, short it across the starter relay on the fender, with the key off, see in the pic the two RED wires and the large bolts they are connected too, short across them, see if the engine turns over, it may be the relay is bad or the key switch is bad, if the starter is bad it will NOT turn the engine over. Also check the large red wire on the starter,could be loose.

Make sure the truck is in Park or neutral. If it's a manual in gear, it will lurch forward on you. Always check before you do this.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put all the bolts back in the starter, totally forgot I could check it from the solenoid.... DUH. We changed the solenoid out first as there was a new one in the truck. To be honest, not sure if the diagram is still there , I need to look. Going to go ahead and change the belt this weekend. I tried taking the bottom bolt off first, it would not budge :dunno So, if I check from solenoid and nothing, then I guess back to trying to turn over the engine manually?

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you still have the belt layout decal on the front? If not I'll post a pic of it.
To change the belt, IIRC use a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar, should fit in the tensioner pulley, lift up, slide belt off of one of the pulleys.

On the starter bolt, use a six point socket, twelve point might round off the corners.
If you can post a pic, that would be great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online