HEEEEELLLLLP !!!!!!! I despise anything but old fords

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
I am working on my wifes old ride that she is selling it. Every now and than when she would try to start it it would sound like either the ring gear on the flexplate or the gear on the starter was stripped and it would make a grinding noise and sometimes it would not even start and i talked to the local mechanic and he sai it was common for the ring gear to strip so i spent the afternoon pulling the inspection cover and starter off to look and both ring gear and starter gear look fine i also bench tested the starter it passed. The vehicle is a 1994 piece of -cuss **** :puke: G.arage M.ans C.ompanion Jimmy S-15 body with the 3.8L vortec 4wd auto

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
could be a warped flywheel, i worked on an exploder that'd start sometimes, and would grind others, i thought the starter was bad, replaced it, then watched the flywheel turn, moved back and fourth about 3/4 of an inch! :puke: i know the v-6 GM cars (auto trans) are nitorous for cracking flywheels, mabe it cracked or warped. :dunno

-Jon

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i will go with the bendix idea for now the flexplate looks perfect i spun it one full rotation the ring gear was perfect and it did not show any obvious signs of warping

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
thanx guys i fixed here but i managed to **** off the local parts store owner in the process because he wanted to sell me a whole starter $120.00and instead i just bought a rebuild kit for $14.00 and refurbished the starter on my own took me an hour and now i am having lunch and throwing it back in

greythorn3

wheelordie.com
Reaction score
ive been having allot of problems with these chinese solinoids not kicking out the starter gear properly on my reman staters on 6.9's let me know if it fixed yoru problem, and if yours is the direct drive or the gear reduction stater

Ray

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
the vehicle i was referring to was a 1994 gmc jimmy with a 3.8l engine and it was direct drive and it fixed the problem not bad for 20 min. labour after the starter was pulled

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online