Heavy Haul

MudHog

Reaction score
Friend of mine sent an email that included the following pictures in it The trucks are just pulling the long. The whole vessel is on this cart that pivots and all. The trucks are connected just to pull it forward. The orange thing around it is the support piece to hold it in place.

Attachments

• Coaker06-01-0504PR.jpg
    Coaker06-01-0504PR.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Coaker06-01-0510PR.jpg
    Coaker06-01-0510PR.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Coaker06-01-0512PR.jpg
    Coaker06-01-0512PR.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Coaker06-01-0513PR.jpg
    Coaker06-01-0513PR.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Coaker06-01-0514PR.jpg
    Coaker06-01-0514PR.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 104

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
First time I've ever seen tractors used as "pushers". It'd take a whole lot of cooperation to get everyone moving at once, I bet.

mocetane

Reaction score
Any Idea just what the H it is they are moving???

I saw some pusher trucks moving a large steam boiler or something like that in the late '60's when I was just a wee lad. :D
Thought it was real cool.

stroke_smoke

Reaction score
all they really need is is a good ole P.S.D. i'll bet after a day or two w/ that setup them drivers are ready for saturday nite :drunk:

rubberfish

Reaction score
I'd hate to be the guy that has to chain-up
all those axles/tires. Familiar looking police car.
Those silly Canadians eh? Always doing something odd.

Albin

Reaction score
PackRat said:
First time I've ever seen tractors used as "pushers". It'd take a whole lot of cooperation to get everyone moving at once, I bet.

They're computer controlled. We (or I should say, our trucking company) uses the same technology to transport our large oversize and overweight (sorry can't tell you) items from the Port of Valdez 350 miles north to Central Alaska, even in winter. They use a semitruck and trailer with a 120 wheel assembly with one puller and use two semitruck pushers for the mountain passes.

I can tell you that we tell the "peaceniks" that the items are walrus breeding tanks. The forking idiots believe us.

Al

Last edited:

Ak HDM

Reaction score
Push trucks have been used up here in Alaska since construction of the Trans Alaska Pipeline in the mid 1970s for heavy lowboy loads. All the ones I've been around weren't computer controlled, just good drivers in constant radio communication. All the pump stations that have 75 ton lowboy assigned also have a push truck. They used to be a 1983 C500 Kenworth
6x6 Bed tandem with a big push bumper and a concrete weight on the bed, now they use a 1997 T800 tandem axle dump truck. I don't know how you could computer control the push truck with the tractor under the load.
The Canadians in Alberta, British Columbia, Northwest Territories,& Yukon move a lot of heavy loads with push and pull trucks, they will move it any time any where.

Mike

Albin

Reaction score
Just telling you what our tranportation guy told me. He goes with the loads from Portland, OR all the way to the destination. They spend one night on the road between Valdez and the endpoint, so he has plenty of time to talk to the transport drivers and supervisors.

BTW, you're paying for it, as we all are.

Al

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
It looks just like a piece of Hydro Cracking machinery that came thru Our port about 3 months ago. I'd allmost bet it is.

There were prolly 10 pieces of this equipment, varying in size. Sitting here, waiting to be delivered.

The Stellaprima’s cargo weighs more than 9.5 million lbs.—including the two “hydro *******” reactors—one weighing 1.5 million lbs. (678 tons) and the other 1.1 million lbs. (520 tons). The heaviest reactor, which will weigh 805 tons including tension skids and loading bars, will represent the largest single piece of heavy-lift project machinery handled at the Port by Lake Superior Warehousing and the largest single load carried on North American railroads. It will be offloaded in Duluth onto the Westinghouse 36-axle Schnabel car, the world’s largest capacity railcar according the Association of American Railroads

Movement of the remaining freight, including the smaller reactor, will require a record-setting rail shipment of 61 rail cars.

"These shipments will represent the largest (in terms of length and weight) loads ever carried over U.S. and Canadian railways, breaking a record set in November 2002 when a Syncrude UE-1 project that moved through Duluth to Northern Alberta required 56 cars for seven 530-ton and two 200-ton pieces of equipment.," said Ed Clarke, Calgary, Alberta, logistics coordinator for the Long Lake Project.

Attachments

• 2-panoramic-of-car_400.jpg
    2-panoramic-of-car_400.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Ak HDM said:
The Canadians in Alberta, British Columbia, Northwest Territories,& Yukon move a lot of heavy loads with push and pull trucks, they will move it any time any where.

Anytime, as long as it's winter. They time these projects out so that the frost is the deepest possible. How'd you like a load of that size pushed down into the tundra? -cuss

MudHog

Reaction score
Came across this one in an email: "Attached herewith is World's First Advance Floating Gas Refinery (Snow
White) shown in yesterday's episode of 'Kings of Construction' on
Discovery
channel.

They described ......... it took 7 years from concept stage to
engineering
completion and further 2 years for construction. This giant
refinery>> weighs 35,000 T and 100,000 T with the carrying vessel (Blue
Marlin ofDockwise BV).
Refinery was constructed in Spain and presently operating for one of the
gas
field in Artic Circle. It process the non associated gas collected
through
subsea piping network and transport the processed gas through subsea
pipeline to the onshore facility. It seems there are 5 gas turbines to
run
this whole refinery."

Attachments

• Engineering Miracle-1.jpg
    Engineering Miracle-1.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Engineering Miracle-2.jpg
    Engineering Miracle-2.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Albin

Reaction score
MudHog said:
Came across this one in an email: "Attached herewith is World's First Advance Floating Gas Refinery (Snow
White) shown in yesterday's episode of 'Kings of Construction' on
Discovery
channel.

They described ......... it took 7 years from concept stage to
engineering
completion and further 2 years for construction. This giant
refinery>> weighs 35,000 T and 100,000 T with the carrying vessel (Blue
Marlin ofDockwise BV).
Refinery was constructed in Spain and presently operating for one of the
gas
field in Artic Circle. It process the non associated gas collected
through
subsea piping network and transport the processed gas through subsea
pipeline to the onshore facility. It seems there are 5 gas turbines to
run
this whole refinery."

That's not recent is it? 'Cause the Blue Marlin just got done (Jan. 10 +/-) taking 50K tons of SBX floating radar to Hawaii. Took about a month to get there, about that to get back to the East Coast.

Al

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online