Heater hose for emergency fuel line

furfishgame

Reaction score
Got a crack in my rubber line comming into my left pump. Me being a noob i am took it off the wrap it in electrical tape to get me home and sucessfully messed the hose up beyond repair, and naturally the fuel line i have in my truck is the wrong size, but i have a couple feet of sylicone heater hose.. Curious if that would get me home till i can go to part store tomorrow. I heard diesel deteriorates heater hose, so not sure if its a good idea.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, anything in a emerg. situation. But heater hose is 5/8", the fuel hose is 3/8". How ya gonna clamp it? Unless you can use it over a piece of old hose on each end. The filter will catch any deterioration, if it's true silicone it will be OK.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Friction tape is a better friend than electrical tape.

The diesel woukd soooo dissolve the adhesive in seconds...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What OLDBULL said. You will need leave a piece of the old hose to use as a bushing. Heater hose is typically about 5/8 ID maybe a little smaller the OD on 3/8 rubber fuel line is usually about 1/2. You may need to wrap a couple loops of tape around it to make the heater hose fit tight enough. In this case you could use electrical tape if you don't have friction tape because by the time the fuel gets to it, you won't care about the adhesive. You just need the bulk of the material.

Good luck.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really anything to get you home will work. Just don't think if it does not leak its good for a few weeks.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Silicon will be OK, but if it's EPDM heater hose (most heater hose is EPDM) it might not last the ride home. EPDM is better than buna or nitrile with respect to hot water, but it is not compatible with most things petroleum related.

I do agree with OldBull's "anything temporary to get out of the woods in a pinch", but I'm a big fan of the barrier style fuel hose that biodiesel rated as it's resistance to permeation of all kinds of fuels is excellent.

For instance:

http://www.safehose.com/ParkerProducts.asp?catID=575

http://www.safehose.com/ParkerProducts.asp?catID=574

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go see the guys at Jackovich Industrial/MFCP The ParkerStore and they will get you set up with the good stuff ;Sweet

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's out in the wilds with a big a$$ Bear chasing him. No stores on top of mountains. It's only 18*F there now. This time of year he don't have much daylight up there.

furfishgame

Reaction score
He's out in the wilds with a big a$$ Bear chasing him. No stores on top of mountains. It's only 18*F there now. This time of year he don't have much daylight up there.
hahahhaha i actually live on a farm and pave roads for a living, buuut i do spend alot of time in the woods. True about the daylight.. Only 6 hours at the moment.