Heater core hose.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where can I get a new heater core hose?
Has a 3 way split on it one going downtown the rad one into the head and the other to the firewall? I need a new one. I had to cut it to get the hea out of the truck and now that everything backtoghter I need one or I need to repair this one.
So is there a site I can order a new one or a way I can fix this one? Like maybe a slighted larger hose o Ed it and clamped down?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
do you need the rubber hose or do you need that "t" fitting?

when i did my heater core, i just cut those factory crimp clamp things and re-used the old "t".

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The physical t fitting is perfectly fine.
The only thing wrong is the fact that I had to cut one of the three hoses.
I had to cut the short one that physically connects to the head.
So I don't technically need the entire setup if I don't need to.

The only reason I had to cut it was because I coulndt detach it from the head. It. Looks like the previos owner had used some kinda clue or somthin on it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That Tee in the return line from the heater core is nothing to be concerned about. Just do away with it. What it does is sends warm coolant directly to the bottom radiator tank to warm up the trans fluid on the E4OD equipted trucks. That fitting in the botom tank is drilled to about 1/8 or 3/16 so it really isn't much to worry about. Just install a plug in the lower radiator and run the heater return hose directly back to the water pump. Last I heard Ford was getting around $125.00 for this "special" hose. If you choose to keep it just make up your own using the Tee or buy another Tee. Just a side note about that brass fitting in the passenger side head that supplys coolant to the heater core... It has an orfice in it to restrict coolant flow..... Anfd Ford no longer sells the part. 5 years ago I found this damaged orfice in my fitting so I bought the last fitting Ford had. Did a nationwide serach and found it about 10 miles from my home.... Lucky me for living is ca....:angel: Seems we have everything here...:rolleyes::D Good weather.. Bad people of the like of manson.. sirhan..remaris. bundy.... About all we didn't get was oj and brikowitz and bkk...:eek::angel:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get some Gates 5/8 heater hose like '94IDITurbo7.3 suggested. It's good stuff and you just get 6 or 8 feet and cut it to length. Good idea to replace the clamps while you're at it.

Heath

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
... Just a side note about that brass fitting in the passenger side head that supplys coolant to the heater core... It has an orfice in it to restrict coolant flow.....

is that orfice needed? im getting little to no heat in the cab (100-130*) with a new wp, t-stat and hoses. the engine runs about 199-207 with the blanket on the front at 30 or below outside air temp, about 180-200 without it on a warm day 60+ outside... if the orfice isnt needed ill pull it out and replace it with a standard brass nipple

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
is that orfice needed? im getting little to no heat in the cab (100-130*) with a new wp, t-stat and hoses. the engine runs about 199-207 with the blanket on the front at 30 or below outside air temp, about 180-200 without it on a warm day 60+ outside... if the orfice isnt needed ill pull it out and replace it with a standard brass nipple

is that measuring the temp of the air coming out of the vents or the temp of the heater hoses?

my heater hoses will get up to about 160*-170*F IIRC.

what kind of shape is your heater core in?

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
is that measuring the temp of the air coming out of the vents or the temp of the heater hoses?

my heater hoses will get up to about 160*-170*F IIRC.

what kind of shape is your heater core in?

thats vent temp on the drivers side dash vent, the heater hoses, using a lazer gun to check the temp are in excess of 170* up to about 190-192*

as for the heater core, its about 3mo old, i had to change it right before i did the engine swap cause it exploded going down the hwy

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe an air door isnt moving the way it is supposed too. mine wont blow floor heat. broken door tab on vac pod.

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
maybe an air door isnt moving the way it is supposed too. mine wont blow floor heat. broken door tab on vac pod.

i would agree with ya on that, however my rig is still the 87 setup which is all mechanical, the only thing thats vaccume opperated is the recirc setup....

went and checked the flow again on the heater core, seems to flow alright, but a ton of sediment came out of it, so i will be putting a coolant filter on it, could that orfice in the pass side head port be clogged up with crap too?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you install a coolant filter inline to the lower rad fitting like I did, that will slow down the flow a bit ... kill two birds with one stone :D
If you absoloutely had to you could take a regular brass or even steel nipple fitting and a brazing rod and braze a washer to the end of it to make a restrictor