headlights start flashing on there own!!

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
last night my headlights started to turn off and on, my headlight switch is brand new but the pigtail connecting to it is not.

this is very strange why is it happening and most importantly what can I do to fix it! :confused:

Edit: only did it intermittenly not constantly and also the parking lights didnt flash

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Headlight's have a self resetting circuit breaker in the circuit. ON/OFF happens when you have a short in the circuit someplace. Check your work again. Parking light's are not in that same circuit.

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what can I check for though, all I did was connect the old pigtail to the new switch, one of the spades on it maybe broke?

also I might add I replaced this headlight switch 6 months ago

thanks for the response

nappy nate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the headlight upgrade mod and then replace the switch. These came without headlight relays so the full load is going through the switch, the upgrade mod adds relays to the circuit. If the plug on the pigtail looks over heated now would be the time to replace that also. Some make there own parts for the upgrade , I bought the one on this page http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=62 . I had the same experience as you with a switch lasting just a few thousand miles ,then I got a a new switch and did the upgrade together and no problems since and brighter headlights .nuff said
nate

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Do the headlight upgrade mod and then replace the switch. These came without headlight relays so the full load is going through the switch, the upgrade mod adds relays to the circuit. If the plug on the pigtail looks over heated now would be the time to replace that also. Some make there own parts for the upgrade , I bought the one on this page http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=62 . I had the same experience as you with a switch lasting just a few thousand miles ,then I got a a new switch and did the upgrade together and no problems since and brighter headlights .nuff said
nate

Exactly what ***** nate said................... Headlight wire harness on these trucks are crap and use the headlight switch itself for the relay and transfer of power. My headlights would do the same thing, just flash on and off for no reason........... looked like I was driving down the road turning my headlights on and off. See the link below for the kit I used....... looks similair to what LMC truck has........... Very easy install, plug and play.....

http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/9007-headlight-heavy-duty-wiring-harness-upgrade-p-111.html

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
BTW............ I did not replace my headlight switch and only added the upgraded wire harness and still have not had any problems for over a year. I would start by replacing the harness and if it continues then replace the headlight switch.

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the help fellas, I went and bought a new pigtail and cut out the old one, it had overheated and melted the pigtail, so fresh one is in aswell headlight switch, Can I put these relays on myself somehow? I am tight on cash and would like to get that kit dieselmax showed, but $70 is a little steep for me at the moment, I know relays are only a few dollars

thanks for the help as always

tractorman86

Reaction score
So a quick question for someone who has done the lmc harness, does it replace or tap into the original harness? How about difficulty level? I don't have much time at home and don't want to leave a project halfway done over the week

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
So a quick question for someone who has done the lmc harness, does it replace or tap into the original harness? How about difficulty level? I don't have much time at home and don't want to leave a project halfway done over the week

The kit I showed from Diesel Performance in the link above is completley plug and play, no wiring, splicing or special tools needed and can be done in about 30-60 minutes at home. You may have to remove your batteries to unplug the old harness and plug the new harness into the lights themselves. The harness is complete and replaces the old factory harness. I don't know about the LMC kit as I didn't use that one.