Headlight problem again...

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the plug off the dimmer switch in the floor, and see if the testlight lights when you pull the switch on. If it does, then you know the problem is not the headlight wiring from the dimmer to the headlights. So it would be a problem up around the headlight switch or a problem with the brown running light wire.

If the testlight still lights up with the dimmer unplugged, the next thing I would do is take the headlight switch out, unplug the switch, and then take a hot wire and jump power to each wire on the headlight plug till you found the one that lights the testlight on the starter relay.

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
My brown wire is fine. I'm thinking about cutting out the starter wire and runnin it into a toggle switch in the dash like a racecar. Shouldn't that fix it?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brown wire is fine. I'm thinking about cutting out the starter wire and runnin it into a toggle switch in the dash like a racecar. Shouldn't that fix it?

Putting the starter-relay on a PUSH-BUTTON switch is just good business; I have most of my numerous fleet on push-buttons.

That being said, although it will cure your situation, the electrical short will still be there and could even :eek: burn the truck to the ground some night while you are sleeping; I wouldn't park it in any buildings until the problem was found/fixed.

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
Guys, I think I have an idea of what the problem could be. On my headlight plug the the dimmer slot is melted. Think that could be the problem??

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
Okay guys got this son on a beach solved!!! The wiring harness under the hood has a plug in it, right about under the brake fluid canister. All those wires were burnt up and touching each other. Pulled those apart and BINGO, starter wouldn't engage with the headlights. Now I couldnt seem to get my parking lights and headlights to come on together. So on the back of my headlight plug, i just used a piece of spare wire and jumped power over from the headlight wire to the parking light wire. Now I got lights! So stoked to have finally figured this out.