headers

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why doesn't anyone use headers on a diesel... not just IDI, but any diesel??? I don't seen them at all.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
why doesn't anyone use headers on a diesel... not just IDI, but any diesel??? I don't seen them at all.

They just don't increase the power enough to justify the cost. In simple terms, diesels only require a large opening for the exhaust to exit through, and it's a done deal. Now a gasser uses the exhaust for scavaging to help increase the intake flow. Yet another difference between the two engines.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
probably because of warping due to the excessive heat or maybe the gains don't justify the effort due to the turbo being a virtual plug no matter how it is set up though there may be some interesting gains on a naturally aspirated i will experiment when i get my engine on stands i was going to fab up some headers and check it out with a dual turbo design i have been wanting to play with i asked the same question on another site and they also said something about the right balance of back pressure recquired for correct spooling

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keeping the heat in the cast iron manifolds helps run the turbo also.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I always figured cause most Diesels hit a top of 3400 RPM,s while a mildy lodded gassers hit 6000 easy, Headers are a lot bigger advantage at 6K than at 3K.

Just my .02

That said, Stans Headers makes them for the IDI.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still, on an NA it can't hurt. If you don't mind spending the money, Stans Headers makes them to fit our engines.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some High end race and tractor pull engines use them, The way I see it is its too costly to go on your own and make a tuned set for your engine. They should be stainless steel to tolerate the heat in the exhaust, also they would need to be matched to your trubo for any gains. As previously stated, the stock manifolds do a pretty good job already, its the up pipes that choke our engines, but theres no room for anything bigger.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin