headed to iraq

remington88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am getting deployed to iraq this oct. and will be over there for 12 -14 months or whenever the army lets me come home. my truck will be sitting in the barn while i am away. is there anything i should do to it besides unhook the batts and set it on blocks?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rumour has it mice don't like the smell of mothballs. if you feel so inclined, put lots of them in the cab and under the hood.

oh yea, thank you for your service.;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well... Hopefully the mice wont get into the heater ducts and make a *** mess. That smells terrible so some say. Do as posted above. Hopefully you wont be over there for 24 months but.... You know your rig will be fine and waiting for you when you get home. Thanks for serving and be careful over there. Watch your back too....:D

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to start out with saying, thank you for your service to our country! ABout your truck, I'm surprised no one has suggested to treat the fuel with biocide or draining the tanks altogether. Maybe that isn't long enough for the bugs to grow in there? Not really sure. Your worst worry is rodent damage to the engine wiring and something happening to the tires from dry rotting.

Bill-W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My family stores lots of cars and boats due to seasonal use and military service. We always change the oil, tranny fluid & gear lube right before putting them away, gets all of the gunk out . Make sure all of the other fuids are topped off. Run the vehicle up to temp once to boil off any moisture which might have accumulated in the old fluids. Any needed small maintenance preformed gets performed before storage. Always put them on blocks so the tires do not get flat spots and fatigued belts, we had one blowout once from not doing this, never again. Also be sure the tires are not in direct sunlight, if there is no other choice remove, or cover them. Batteries get pulled and brought into a climate controlled area. We don't usually use battery tenders but I have a few friends that due, I'm just scared of boil over.

The big boat gets full tanks 300gals of diesel with Biobor and Sta-Bil for Diesel from West Marine.

If you put the vehicle away ready to run then when you come home your ready to go! If it is only for a week, leave the truck and rent / borrow a car. It's usually just not worth all the hassle for a few days.

Good luck in Iraq, my brother just got back from Umm-Qsar in June, thank you for your service!

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I would fog the engine, go to your local parts store and look there will be oil in a aerosol can for this purpose. Disconect your FSV then crank while fogging the air intake with the oil. Then get some desicant put in the air intake and plug it off, then put some desicant in the exhaust and plug it off. Moth balls, one box in cab one or two under hood. How is this barn where it's being stored are there alot of birds in and out, if so then get a cover (bird poo is acidic and eats paint).

And most importantly:
Thank you for your service to our country.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
may go.. be with you brother. Run that ****** almost outta fuel, unhook batts, add diesel kleen and you will be just fine. When you come home who cares if you gotta possibly sit on a hole in the seat. Go do some work.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would fog the engine, go to your local parts store and look there will be oil in a aerosol can for this purpose. Disconect your FSV then crank while fogging the air intake with the oil. Then get some desicant put in the air intake and plug it off, then put some desicant in the exhaust and plug it off. Moth balls, one box in cab one or two under hood. How is this barn where it's being stored are there alot of birds in and out, if so then get a cover (bird poo is acidic and eats paint).

And most importantly:
Thank you for your service to our country.

I've never tried to fog one of these, but you may have trouble trying. The fog would be fuel. FSV disconnected or not! :eek:

THanks for your service! Yes, I would definitely change all fluids, and top off everything.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
May the Lord our God be with you, and with your family, while you serve. May the Lord cover you, and bring you back, to your home and your love ones, whole.
Thanks,
Burt.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Biocide, fuel stabilizer, mothballs, fluid change, a big ol tarp to cover her, and I would coat the underside with the used oil to prevent rust.

May God be with you. GIVE 'EM HELL!!!!!!

r08ert209cali

Reaction score
Thank you for your service.

Lift the back higher than the front to help keeping it from loosing its prime. Also a high quality lube in the diesel so the injection pump dosent get sticky. If you have some one who could start it once a month that would be nice.

remington88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks to everyone for the good luck wishes and support. its been really crazy gettin ready to go. got alot of training to do. i am gonna have my uncle drive it every so often have it use it on the farm. it sure does look pretty sittin with a load of hay or out at the barn doing chores. gonna miss being here but got to go kick some ass (hopefuly).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online