Head Studs

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I just received my box of ARP studs with instruction sheet, I'll chime in.

it says:
Note: ARP Ultra-Torque Fastener Assembly Lubricant has been specifically designed to reduce tension preload scatter and eliminate the need to cycle high performance engine fasteners before final installation. ARP Ultra-Torque far surpasses all requirements offered by previous AR lubricants in terms of fastener preload repeatability and performance lubricating properties. For more information on ARP Ultra-Torque visit our website at www.arp-bolts.com or call 1-800-826-3045.

I'm betting a phone call would get them to ship you some of this magic juice. As I understand it.. the Ultra Torque is applied to the nuts and washers, not the part of the stud that screws into the block? Guess I need to make a phone call on Monday to sort that out exactly...

On jet engines I used to build, we used a hydraulic ram to actually pull the main center bolt and then measured the stretch with very precise dial gage. When bolt stretch was at the right amount, the nut was then hand tightened and hydraulic pressure released... [That one bolt costs about $8,000] but it held all the compressor wheels stacked together.

With the ARP studs we are using the nut to stretch the bolt via the threads, which are mechanically a ramp.. so we need to "lube the ramp".

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As copied from the ARP instructions

INSTALLATION METHOD FOR HEAD STUD KITS
Part Number: 250-4204 Application: Ford 7.3L International Diesel
1. Always verify the part number for your application with the part number on the side of box and the part number on the instruction sheet. This will help ensure you have the correct installation procedure for your specific application before installing any components.
2. Clean and inspect all hardware prior to installation. Look for obvious defects or shipping damages, plus proper fit, length and dimension.
3. To ensure proper thread engagement and accurate torque readings, clean ALL threads in the block. Chase if necessary with ARP Thread Chaser, part number 911-0005 (1/2-13).
4. If the cylinder head studs protrude into a water jacket, lubricate the block threads of the studs with ARP THREAD SEALER.
5. Screw studs into the block “HAND TIGHT ONLY”.
NOTE: LOCTITE MAY BE USED IF A PERMANENT MOUNTING OF THE STUDS IS PREFERRED. THE
FASTENERS, HOWEVER, MUST BE TORQUED PRIOR TO THE LOCTITE SETTING UP.
6. Install the cylinder head(s) and check for binding or misalignment.
7. Lubricate the stud threads, nuts and washers with ARP ULTRA-TORQUE FASTENER ASSEMBLY
LUBRICANT. Then install the washers and the nuts onto the studs and tighten them hand tight. ARP recommends using the ARP ULTRA-TORQUE FASTENER ASSEMBLY LUBRICANT that is provided with each kit as opposed to motor oil. This is due to higher friction on the studs as well as inconsistencies in the clamping force of the fasteners when motor oil or other low quality lubricants are used.
PRELOAD (TORQUE) RECOMMENDATIONS
8. Following the manufacturers recommended torque sequence tighten the nuts in three equal steps to 125 ft lbs with ARP ULTRA-TORQUE FASTENER ASSEMBLY LUBRICANT.
Note: ARP Ultra-Torque Fastener Assembly Lubricant has been specifically designed to reduce tension preload scatter and eliminate the need to cycle high performance engine fasteners before final installation. ARP Ultra-Torque far surpasses all requirements offered by previous ARP lubricants in terms of fastener preload repeatability and performance lubricating properties. For more information on ARP Ultra-Torque visit our website at www.arp-bolts.com or call 1 800-826-30

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a huge bottle of it if you want I'll ship you an ounce out of the bottle I have way more than I need

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I got my studs and here are the accompanying part #'s

Studs- AR7.000-1LB- (34ea) 10.03 ea 341.02
Washers- ARW78N- (34ea) 00.98 ea 33.32
Nuts- ARN34 -(34ea) 6pt hex nut instead of the 12 pt 00.86 ea 29.24

Total 403.58
they gave me a discount of 60.54
freight was 19.16
sales tax was 25.73 since I live in California :-(

for a grand total of 387.93

hope this helps anyone who is on a budget that want the good stuff.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow has ARP changed the torque on the 7 inch studs. Their engineers told me 110 lbs was what I needed. They also told me to tighten them up and loosen them 5 times to break down the friction between the threads and the washer to nut. What I did was way back in 2006.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
So I got my studs and here are the accompanying part #'s

Studs- AR7.000-1LB- (34ea) 10.03 ea 341.02
Washers- ARW78N- (34ea) 00.98 ea 33.32
Nuts- ARN34 -(34ea) 6pt hex nut instead of the 12 pt 00.86 ea 29.24

Total 403.58
they gave me a discount of 60.54
freight was 19.16
sales tax was 25.73 since I live in California :-(

for a grand total of 387.93

hope this helps anyone who is on a budget that want the good stuff.

Wish I had found this a few months ago. I would've done studs when I had my engine out if I could've landed in the $350-400 ballpark. Now I know!!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive been telling you guys about them, now the 12 point nuts really jack up the price. Wish I would have got all I could during the Evergreen days. Im pretty sure if they hold Helo blades on they would work as head nuts.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've updated the Parts Bin with the ARP stud nut and washer part numbers. Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online