Head stud prices

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im hoping someone here can shed some light on this for me... Why is it you can buy ARP studs for a 6.9 for about $250 but a 7.3 is closer to 500? i know the 6.9 is 7/16 but double the price for the more common engine?? Does anyone know of a cheaper set?:dunno

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.9 had a known issue stock of popping headgaskets with the smaller head bolts so more people are apt to buy them than for a 7.3 with larger headbolts.

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope.. Can't really say why they are that much more expensive. Might try R&D Performance. See what Jason has. No matter what. Do not purchase a set of 7.3 studs from a maker called DPS. Ken has had nothing but trouble with his studs. Many years ago I helped him design the 7.3 sets and they were 270,000 psi studs.. I installed them and ran well. Then my engine melted down for known reasons out of my control. I tried to reuse those studs. They torqued down fine but. Several hundred miles later I found a coolant leak and a stud laying in my driveway. Another stud was found laying on the motor mount... Not a good thing. I installed ARP with a 220,000 psi and have not had any issues.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin at r&d has the best price, hands down. I found a stud years ago that worked and he has expanded on it to do volume and has a great price, I get mine from him.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
If they are good enough for Russ(typ4) then they are good enough for me in my opinion

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Russ and I were the first members to run the ARP studs in our 7.3 engines. This was long before ARP had a dedicated set for the 7.3 idi engines. They were just a common stud 1/2x13x7 1/2 inches long. the top thread was 1/2x20 just as they are now.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sometimes Summit will carry studs for us too. Funny thing was a few years ago Summit could sell a set of ARP 6.9 studs cheaper than ARP who made the damn studs. Buying in volume pays dividends in the long run.