head gasket repair sealant-does it work?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jrisingmoon said:
This is the Bar's stuff I was talking about just to be sure we're on the same page:
Bar's Leak

I know that Bar's makes radiator stop leak. I didn't know if it was any different than that stuff though.

Conventionally, Bar's is comprised of black pellets in a liquid. Which is what we are all referring to. They have probably been making this product for decades.

Apparently they have copy-catted a number of different other sealer products and put them to market.

I personally would see if JB (Justice Brothers) makes a block sealer. IMO, they make good products, rather than marginal "cheap" products

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like others have said the block sealer stuff won't fix a leak on the oil side. Th head gaskets usually aren't the cause of oil leaks bad enough to need attention on these engines. We worry about the coolant leaks more because these can cause you to overheat or worse hydrolock teh motor. A 6.9 is hardly an oil tight engine. Even a healthy one can burn/leak/make disappera, 1qt in 400-500 miles, adna tired but still well running engine maybe twice or three times that much, a real basket case faster than you can fill it up almost! I am suspicious that it might have to do with the CDR/RDT setup. A plugged CDR or improperly set up RDT will cause oil to leak at every juncture. The right way to setup a RDT is to plug off all other outlets from teh crankcase to the atmosphere and then setup a short hose from either teh air intake horn or oil filler neck to dump the blowby directly to the atmosphere. Also valve covers, the intake manifold and pump gear cover and probably other places can leak even if positive crankcase ventilation works properly.

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black dawg said:
how much oil did it leak before you went rdt?
I'm not entirely sure how much it was leaking before I went rdt. I knew that there was a substantial amount of smoke passing through the cdr and into the intake. I went rdt to bypass the smoke coming through the cdr. I think it was after that I started noticing oil leaking from around the base of the heads. The exhaust was black before and after rdt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online