Head gasket question

wmoguy

Reaction score
Just go for it Eric. The $1500'ish you spend now will always be cheaper than selling this thing and buying a different vehicle.

You don't strike me as someone looking to go hog wild on these things in terms of power. I wouldn't even bother w/ head studs. Just get the heads checked out, flattened as needed (for a smooth mating surface) and slap some good head gaskets on it and go.

My heads were R & R'd inframe. IIRC I paid about 14-15 hours labor to have it done. What jacked up my price big time was having the heads completely redone in the process.

* Obviously first determine without a shadow of doubt its a Headgasket issue

wmoguy

Reaction score
Seriously though, Eric. If you just dropped a grand on teh turbo, etc... you might as well fix the HG issue if that is the case here. You'll never get that grand back out of the pickup, and you don't strike me as the kind of guy that would sell a vehicle w/ a bad headgasket and not disclose it. YOu'd get killed selling a 2wd truck, in Michigan, with a bad head gasket this time of year.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are two ways that a head gasket can leak, internal or external, internal would mean you would need to do a block test. block test finds hydrocarbons in the coolant. here is a block tester from napa.
http://napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_7001006_0361073538
external would mean you would need to get engine to operating temp and then pressure test it, OR, you add dye to the coolant and then run the engine for a while and look for the dye. here is the type of dye im refering to from napa.
http://napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NTE784702_0282517235
either way, good luck.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
In order for pressurizing the radiator to show, I'd bet you'd need the thermostat to be open. Maybe not though, I'd definitely try it.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In order for pressurizing the radiator to show, I'd bet you'd need the thermostat to be open. Maybe not though, I'd definitely try it.

it wouldnt matter if the thermostat is open due to there being an inlet and outlet to the radiator. pressure will be on both sides of the thermostat if its closed, as well as if it was open.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I'm not a pro, but I play one on TV.

Really, the simplest way to find out is to drive the truck hard for a few (5-10) miles, then look at the place you have posted as a picture. If it is wet, you have a leak. I'm betting that is the place, according to the traces already there.

And if you are changing the HGs, why not invest a few bucks in studs? New bolts (yes, you really need to use them) cost nearly as much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7