Head gasket question

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
If you had it all over to do, would you pull the block or not?

Nope. block would stay in. it is really not that bad. i would think that the extra time taking to pull the engine would off set the amount of time saved from being easier to clean the block and such. even at that the cleaning time was not nearly as bad as i thought it would be. the 6 p's- Proper Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance. LOL

Last edited:

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score
Nope. block would stay in. it is really not that bad. i would think that the extra time taking to pull the engine would off set the amount of time saved from being easier to clean the block and such. even at that the cleaning time was not nearly as bad as i thought it would be. the 6 p's- Proper Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance. LOL

I think Im the opposite LOL. I think that if I ever have to do anything again like pulling heads, or a cam or anything like that, I will pull the engine out first thing to do it. When I pulled my heads, I had hood and fenders off at the time, but radiator support was still standing. It killed my back and knees leaned over working on it. then when I started scraping the surface on block, I really wanted to get closer to it to feel better about it, so I went ahead and yanked the block out to finish the cleaning. Then it turned into an opportunity to take care of a few more issues while it was out. So, I guess it just kind of depends on what you would rather spend the time on, Id say neither method is right or wrong or easier or harder. And like said above, I feel that either way will probably take about the same amount of time. I sold the engine out of a 94 idi turbo truck that I had, and I think it took me about 6 hours on a saturday morning to completely remove it from the truck by myself, and the only body part that I removed was the hood. I thought it was much easier than I thought it was gonna be.:dunno

Revelstoke

Reaction score
In my case, I have oil leaking, and I'd like to get the whole block cleaned off, front mainseals, waterpump, intake manifold, and head gaskets replaced. With all that, I have an engine hoist and tractor bucket, and 12+ ceilings, so I'm inclined to pull it, but I sure appreciate both methods.

Revelstoke

Reaction score
Yup, gonna have to wait till spring. I do like the way you did yours with the hoist. You probably saved yourself from having to buy another set of HGs.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I NEEEEEEED MORE BOOOOOOOOOST!!!!!!:hail:hail Turbo sounds damn good as well. i'm sure it will sound better with more boost as well!;Sweet:D

waste gate is plugged.

need to fix the fuel heater

need to make an intake with a good open element filter. sucking the filter minder down a good bit at only 10psi.

my truck LOVES Mobile winter blend fuel(runs like a ***** ape on the stuff). HATES Sunoco winter blend. absolute pig on that stuff. Mobile=EASILY hits 7-8psi......Sunoco=need to really get on the throttle to hit 5-6psi.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I NEEEEEEED MORE BOOOOOOOOOST!!!!!!:hail:hail Turbo sounds damn good as well. i'm sure it will sound better with more boost as well!;Sweet:D

waste gate is plugged.

need to fix the fuel heater

need to make an intake with a good open element filter. sucking the filter minder down a good bit at only 10psi.

my truck LOVES Mobile winter blend fuel(runs like a ***** ape on the stuff). HATES Sunoco winter blend. absolute pig on that stuff. Mobile=EASILY hits 7-8psi......Sunoco=need to really get on the throttle to hit 5-6psi.

You need more fuel.;p :D

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i never did post pics of my coolant filter, so here it is.......

You must be registered for see images

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i also said i would post pics of our hoist system. never got around to that LOL. so here ya go!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01