Head gasket question

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
today my dad got pretty much all the bolt holes in the block taken care of. tomorrow we will touch them up a bit and then put the heads back on and start getting this thing back together.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i was a for a little bit. one step forward and three steps back. can't get intake mani on. one side will bolt in and then go to other side and the bolts won't even start. looks like i will be taking a trip to car quest on tuesday.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If neither side is bolted in place, how far offset is the intake manifold from the bolt holes in the heads?

If you're only off by a couple of millimeters, what you can do is gently tap on the intake manifold at the front of the engine with a rubber mallet (both sides equally) to basically wedge it in. Once you get it in far enough to get the two front-most bolts started, get the bolts in until they're just about snug (don't torque them yet), then move slightly aft with the mallet until you can get the next bolts in, and so on and so forth.

However, if the offset is too far (possible since the heads were milled), you could break the intake manifold by doing this...at that point, I'm not sure. I think you may be able to (and may need to) have a machine shop carefully mill a slight bit of material off both sides of the intake manifold so that it can fit deeper into the valley...although I'm not 100% certain that that's safe to do and I'm hoping someone who knows for sure can give a definitive answer.

Even without milling my heads, I had to do the rubber mallet trick to get my intake manifold back on, but I only had about half a millimeter to go before the bolt-holes were lined up...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tim, i think the issue is the intake mani sits to far down in the valley.
Unless the heads aren't sitting on the block properly, the machine shop also milled down the intake gasket surface, or your intake manifold never sealed before, I don't see how that could be possible...especially with milled heads, that would have the manifold bolt holes that much closer to the center of the "V" in the block...

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score
Glad you got the heads on Eric! And hopefully you can get your manifold on. It sucks that you're having so many issues with this project, but hopefully once you get this one out of the way, the rest of the project will wrap up smoothly and you can enjoy your truck again. If you still have your old valley pan, see if its thicker than the new one maybe?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
yeah i still have the old one. i was talking with Tim on FB and he told me not to worry as this issue is quite common with V-8's even without machined heads.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't tighten the manifold bolts on one side then the other for several reasons.......

One: you'll likely never get all the bolts started. You got the valley pan on and sealed front and rear? Once that's done, set the manifold on and just start a few threads of each bolt on the intake manifold. I have had the best luck by putting the short bolts (passenger's front and driver's rear of the manifold) in first, again, just get them started, don't seat them on the manifold. Then I work back and forth between driver's and passenger's sides untill all the bolts are started.

Two: you've got to torque it down via the sequence just like the heads.

Ask if you have questions.

Heath