Head gasket question

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i will get some pics of the final coolant filter mount tomorrow.

What kind of thread sealant do you guys recomend? i used the liquid sealant with PTFE in it and it is not holding up in some spots.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I took the truck for a short drive today. thing sounds mean. it is SO NICE being able to hear the exhaust rather than the exhaust leaks. i need to advance my timing some though. Runs good otherwise. Hit 9psi easy today.

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha, almost two months ago you were like......"hey i have a head gasket question" how long will this take. oh if we had only known, eh?

well you're rockin' now, good to hear

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
today was the first long drive in the truck. i got to work and walked in and a guy i worked with said my truck smelt like coolant when i went by the shop. at first i thought he was screwing with me. he said no he wasn't. so i go out and sure enough i was leaking pretty good around the heater core. well i had to get to work. he got out early and started my truck up and looked it over for me. found that one of the clamps for the hose that feeds the heater core was loose. tightened that up and good to go.

when i got home i looked all the coolant lines over again and had a big puddle under the rad. well the clamp for the lower rad hose to the block is loose. i will tighten that up tomorrow.

Overall i am happy nothing went really bad. this thing sounds mean as heck! truck pulls HARD as well!!!! boost is AMAZING. really pissed that i have a crappy IP that is only two years old.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i have driven the truck for a week now. everything is doing good. exhaust sounds SO GOOD without that nasty up-pipe leak.

even though i am not really "working" the head studs at 5 psi i am still glad i got them. the piece of mind is SO nice!

This truck is a **** on winter fuel though. i still had summer fuel in the tanks when i first started it but now i have all winter fuel in it. i can tell a huge diff in oomph LOL.

Overall i am happy with how things turned out. I am sincerely PISSED about my injection pump though. what a waste of money that was. yesterday i went to adjust my torque screw and the hole in the IP was completely stripped out.:backoff:backoff

Last edited:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you have already taken off many components on your idi engine, replacing the injection pump....when the time and funds are available for you...should be fairly easy. But yes, it sounds like your injection pump is very weak due to your low EGT's. Once you strap on a fresh rebuilt IP or even better, a Moose Pump, you will think you added another turbo to your truck. A fresh injection system really wakes up your idi if the parts are wore out. I am glad your upper engine overhaul went well. Congrats

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
my pump is only two years old. probly about 15k miles on it........yeah the IP is an easy R&R.

x2 on the EGT's. driving like a normal human being it won't hardly touch 600*. Romping on it will maybe touch 800. i can do a 45mph(o/d) roll on to 60mph, without dropping out of o/d, and it won't see 900*.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that is a benefit. You don't need to pay much attention to EGT's while driving with the foot down lol.
I have a couple questions for you. First, what was your method for taking and placing the heads back on the block when engine was in frame....without damaging new gasket??? Second, how did you manage to put those studs in? Did you place heads on block than put the studs in? Looks like awful tight clearances.
Just curious for when/if I have to replace my gaskets one of these days.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
the garage that the truck was parked in, has a 16' door. we laid our 12' extension ladder across the rails for the door. clamped some 2x4's to the ladder just out side of each fender on the truck to cut the span down some and for added support. then we took a piece of re-bar and laid that across the rungs of the ladder above the engine. then hung a chain fall from that. bolted some chunks of chain to the heads and lifted them off and lowered them on. The key to doing this method with out hurting the gaskets is getting the head to hang from the chain fall at roughly the same angle as it sits on the block. i took two piece of chain per head. once bolted onto the head using the bottom row of valve cover bolt holes. the other chain bolted to the top row of valve cover holes. make sure the bottom chain is longer than the top chain resulting in that angle i spoke off. that made lowing the heads on pretty easy. you do have to watch out for the exhaust manis rubbing on the gaskets though.

for the studs i put the heads on and then the studs in. there was iirc two studs at the back of the drivers side head that i put in the head before install. i used zip ties to hold the studs up in the head. i put the back studs in and all of the bottom stud in the passenger side head prior to lowering the head onto the block.

i will post up some pics of the chain fall tomorrow.

Black dawg

Reaction score
i have driven the truck for a week now. everything is doing good. exhaust sounds SO GOOD without that nasty up-pipe leak.

even though i am not really "working" the head studs at 5 psi i am still glad i got them. the piece of mind is SO nice!

This truck is a **** on winter fuel though. i still had summer fuel in the tanks when i first started it but now i have all winter fuel in it. i can tell a huge diff in oomph LOL.

Overall i am happy with how things turned out. I am sincerely PISSED about my injection pump though. what a waste of money that was. yesterday i went to adjust my torque screw and the hole in the IP was completely stripped out.:backoff:backoff

so how did you get the hole to seal up?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
so how did you get the hole to seal up?

the torque screw hole? i used permatex thread repair stuff. i took the torque screw out of the pump, turned the lock nut on the screw to where i wanted it then applied some off the permatex to the threads on the screw, then put the screw in the hole, snugged it down by hand. i didn't put a wrench on it at all. no leaks yet.