Have fuel filter issue 93 non turbo 7.3 idi and a few more issues check it out

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
okay i picked up a 93 f-350 4x4 crew cab 7.3 idi non turbo has t19 yes for some reason has a t19 with a 1356 transfer case has aftermarket fiberglass "low profile" dually bed with goose neck and Reese hitch has a nice head ace rack also
body is really good no rust on body or doors pretty clean thru and thru
manual doors and windows red interior
has nice bucket seats
paint is good just farmall red tractor paint it looks pretty sharp tho
it's also got lund visor and a/c

here's my problem
truck cranks over pretty good (needs battery's probably)
has electric fuel pump (have made sure it works)
it has between 3/4 and Full tank of fuel previous owner said truck was going good and just died down on power and felt like it could barely pull it self so he shut it down

i drained fuel filter thru the bottom tonight has 1 piece set up and the 4 sided nut the un screwed it fell off and i think i've lost something ? not really sure there on what to do

i'm stumped on truck tho it cranks over good i've had it run for about a minute it sounded like a rod knock almost but sounded more like it was seriously starving for fuel like it had a deep lope.
when i drained fuel filter it had alot of water
which leads me to think they filled tank full of junk watery diesel and it's got a bunch of water in it to make it run like crap

when you crank it for a few seconds water in fuel light and engine temp light comes on

coolant and oil both look decent

what's the best plan of action to get this beast running that i'm not thinking of here, or am i on right track?

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Well, firstly, go get another filter. It is a good place to start especially if you "lost something" or think it's fuel starved. Wix makes a one piece that screws on to the stock filter head. (33617 I think, but not sure)

Next, open the schrader valve, and check the volume of fuel it's pumping. That will tell tell you if you are actually getting enough fuel to the IP. (one pint over 30 seconds of cranking is normal from a mechanical FP, so you should be getting ALOT more from the e-pump for it to be working normally) Cuz from what the PO told you, it could have picked up something in the tank and clogged a line also.

Then, if that all checks out, it will take a while, but you have an e-pump so you can do this simply: Drain the tank, refill with good diesel. Add a really really good dose of diesel kleen to it. I would also at the very least fill the fuel filter with pure atf or diesel kleen, start it, and run it for a min or two. Then let it sit over night. That could help ALOT if the IP and injectors are salvageable.

The "deep knock" could also be a dead injector. Especially if you got water in the IP and fouled it. Also IP's and Injectors are only good for about 125k, usually less, in these trucks. So, depending on how old the ones in the truck are, it might be a good idea to just shotgun the problem, and replace them.

I think you're on the right track, just keep at it.
there are ALOT of really really wise minds here who can prolly get you more/better info. However, I think this is a good starting list.

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
Yes this should defiently help im going to see if i can get a fuel filter today

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's got an electric fuel pump, no need to crank for fuel. Filter is prolly clogged up with junk, pumping water like that, I'd disconnect the fuel line at the filter and pump into a container until you see no water. Surely change the filter.

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
Was doing some thinking last night and with oldbull said
water is heavier than diesel so it will be at bottom of tank where the sending unit picks up so i could turn on fuel pump and suck water out and not have to drop tank in theroy correct?
sent from iphone 4

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is correct, use the e-pump to pump out the water into a container, just as old bull said. then when you hook the system back up, changfe the filter and continue on, you will still need to change the filter again after a short time because of the water. the knock sound most likely is a fuel knock and should go away when you get it running on good fuel. The atf or marvels oil treatment in the fuel filter is a good idea after you get rid of the water.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above sounds correct. The issue is the water possibliy in the injection pump or injectors. If it has sat in the pump or injectors they are probably ruined because of rust. It might be time for a new fuel system. Now which tank are you running off. If its the front do as suggested and run the electric pump into a can to drain off the fuel and water. Not all the fuel and water will drain out. Usually the fuel tank suction line has broken off and only 3/4 tank is useable fuel. The broken suction wont pull out the last 1/4 tank. If its the front tank pump out as much as you can and drop the tank. Its so much easier than dropping the rear tank. Remember that there is fuel in the drained tank and its going to be hard to balance the sloshing around fuel. Then open the tank and finich draining. Look for alge and rust. Hopefully you can save the tank.

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
i've drained some and for sure has water in it
weird thing is front tank looks new it's still nice and clear metal and doesn't have light coating of surface rust like most of them have at this age