Have access to big aux tank cheap...questions

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey so a friend of mine has this large saddle tank that was out of some kind of old Ford diesel medium duty or school bus. He's willing to let it go cheap, but before I sink anything into it or trust it with my fuel system I want to ask you guys' advice on thinks to look out for and how I should go about making sure it's clean and acceptable for service. It has some surface rust but still has most of the factory paint. It has nice thick walls and I bet the inside is fairly decent. Biggest concern is fuel tank crud and black algae. It has a nice drain in the bottom and a couple of inspection plates so I may be able to get a better idea what it is all about before I commit. Any opinions are welcome, thanks in advance.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Do You plan to use it on the truck or just for storage? Personally I would go with aluminum.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
check under any straps and such. i almost bought a dump truck tank, the kind with the step in it that mounts on the side of the truck. they are nice and thick, probubly 1/8 inch or close to it. when we rolled it over to move it the tank started getting wet. even though it looked clean on the out side it had pitted and eaten through under one of the straps.

not a huge deal if you know someone with a welder or can braze and some know how but it wasent worth it to me the neighboring yard had another clean one that i did not have to mess with.

pull the covers if you can and bring a flashlight that can tell you all you need to know about the insides.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not for storage, mostly I was considering more of a soft mount where I put it in for long trips like the one I brought up here on the forums or similar and maybe take it out for when I need a full bed. It wouldn't bother me if it stayed in there either I just won't be carrying around 55 gallons of fuel for daily driving probably.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better be able to bolt it in securely. That tank would weigh 450-500 full of fuel. With all the idiot drivers on the road. What would happen in an accident?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about that. I don't want a missile behind me. I was thinking of right behind the cab which will be a tight fit and some way to secure it to the floor. Maybe a couple of metal straps with bolts through the bed...maybe someone here has a better idea.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
DieselJD
I've got a 76 gallon wedge tank I've been meaning to put on craigslist, I've just been lazy. It's tread plate Aluminum. Looks like a truck toolbox. Has fuel sending unit with float with provisions for return lines, vents, etc etc. You could hook it up to your fuel gauge in the truck.
also baffled really well, even when I had 20 gallons in it, it wouldn't slosh too bad.
oh, and with no fuel in it, it weights like 20lbs.

They cost like $1200 new, I got it at a junkyard for $200, I was gonna try to sell it for $200. Drive up here and one franklin would take it home with ya.
It's a perfect fit to a ford bed.

need pictures? email me or crap... gimmie a minute I'll go take some pictures.

Drew

Last edited:

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
When I started doing biodiesel and wvo I used a steel tank like you are talking about. It sucked.... got hot and stayed hot, rust, scale and skin from the WVO clogged everything. I saw this tank and snagged it up... it worked really well.

Drew

You must be registered for see images attach

an old pic from a few years ago:

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks Drew. I might take you up on it if that one is fairly clean. This one would cost me that much by the time I traded the guy what he wants for it and I get it steam cleaned. It would be nice to see you again as well.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I'm here till april 6th, I go to work after that and won't be home till May 6th.
bring it.... I got the shop built and have cool machinery crap strewn everywhere....

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, pm me your number again if you don't mind. I'm very interested, but we won't have much time to make it work, either Sunday or Monday would probably be the only days I could conceivably make it work.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
well technically you could come up anyday, the wife would be here.... but I figure as long as you'll come I might as well meet up with you again.

pm sent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin