has anyone replaced the ignition switch before?

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
On my "new" '94 F250, the lock cylinder seems sloppy. To remove the key, I have to turn it back past "off" to the "accessory" position, and then back up to "off", and then the key releases.
Would replacing the lock cylinder fix this problem?

Is it poosible to get a new lock cylinder re-keyed to use the old key so that the doors and ign remain on one key?

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my "new" '94 F250, the lock cylinder seems sloppy. To remove the key, I have to turn it back past "off" to the "accessory" position, and then back up to "off", and then the key releases.
Would replacing the lock cylinder fix this problem?

Is it poosible to get a new lock cylinder re-keyed to use the old key so that the doors and ign remain on one key?
Replacing the lock will probably solve your issue but try removing it and soaking in some solvent first. Look in where the lock switch is removed from for metal particles. If you see some then switch is definitely worn out.
I believe it's easier to get the door locks rekeyed. It takes only a few minutes to remove them from the doors. A good thing about a different key to start your truck is this. I've know an individual who used to try keys in door locks. On a few occasions he got inside. It would suck to have a punk do that to you then take your truck.

GREASE FIRE the electrical slide switch down the column tube can cause the symptoms you describe. I bought a switch for less than $10 bucks with discount from Napa for my tow truck. Interesting thing is this is the switch that Ford did a recall on about 10 or 12 years ago. Something about electrical fires. Also I suspect that the same switch may have caused my engine harness to fry on my dually. All I did to replace the switch was remove the lower dash cover then removed the bolts that hold the column up in place. The column lowered enough to give me access to the switch and all was done in less than 20 minutes.

RedTruck

Reaction score
I've got my tilt column all apart right now. If you need pics let me know. My starter switch was sticking in the on position.

My rig is an '84.

Paul

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
paul-
have you determined if you are a tilt column or a non-tilt column yet?
the piece in the pic is for tilt columns.

Hopefully this doesn't sound like too stupid a question - but when you say "tilt column" do you mean it has a steering wheel that is adjustable that moves up and down a bit - or is that something else? my steering wheel has that adjustable feature (but does not seem to work).

thanks,
Paul

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this doesn't sound like too stupid a question - but when you say "tilt column" do you mean it has a steering wheel that is adjustable that moves up and down a bit - or is that something else? my steering wheel has that adjustable feature (but does not seem to work).

thanks,
Paul
paul-
you have the tilt feature. if it doesn't work too good, then you will want to check the linkage in the pic. But do take a look at the elec slider switch while you in there. when they fail, they will set your entire electrical system on fire. Ford had a recall on them.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Nah, that will be down the road. I have a new seat and I'm going to fix (actually my neighbor is going to fix) the floor pans and rocker panels, etc. I'll put it all in together.

By the way, the post office was very inquisitive about that box! :) They all came to the front counter and said they had a bet going as to what was in it, and while I didn't have to tell them, would I? I said only if I'm included in the bet! They said ok, it's $20 bucks, and not a one of them guesses it, in fact, they didn't believe me, so I opened it at the post office! :) I didn't take their money, but it was a hilarious event. Even a couple customers at the counter made guesses, all incorrect as well! :)
HyJack ON
That is funny cause when I mail stuff the lady at the counter guesses what it is. She got this one right and a few others but I've stumped her a few times.
HyJack Off
Are the 94 and up different locks?:dunno

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
paul-
you have the tilt feature. if it doesn't work too good, then you will want to check the linkage in the pic. But do take a look at the elec slider switch while you in there. when they fail, they will set your entire electrical system on fire. Ford had a recall on them.
Yep I remember that recall...it was a looong time ago, they did mine.
Hey REDNECK post up those pics!;Sweet

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im going to say the odds are that your ignition switch actuator broke. this was very common in the ford trucks. look under your dash and find the rod that goes down into the slider switch. if the rod isnt moving when you turn the ignition its the switch actuator. the good news is its a $7 part the bad is its a PITA to put in especially with a tilt column. I did mine last year in my Bronco not to bad snap on makes a mini puller to get the pins out of the column so you can get the column rod out of the wayand get to the actuator. that saves alot of time in my opinion...............i should have taken pics and made a writeup about it :(

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the truck shut off and lock the steering wheel properly when key is removed? Cause I'm thinking the bolts that hold the ignition switch down at the column loosened up and the whole switch slid down a bit (it has slots, it can move up-down somewhat), enough to throw the ignition cylinder up by the wheel one position off. I'd reinstall the ignition cylinder, then put the key in and turn it to ACC till it can't turn no more, then I'd crawl unde the ash and slide the ignition switch up the column till the accessories do come on. Then tighten down the bolts for the switch, and test the key on the column, should hopefully be working fine.
Well-well-well...as it turns out my ignition "actuator" was not my problem at all!
As I was tearing into the steering column to replace what I thought was a broke actuator...I turned the key switch and noticed almost zero play in the key movement and the rod that goes into the ignition switch. With the steering wheel pulled off and turn signal switch guts out and steering column now hanging I diverted my attention to the actual switch that's mounted on the column. The mounting bolts weren't all that tight! So what I did was, mark a line in pencil where the switch was mounted to the column and then, move the switch up towards me just enough to hide the pencil mark...tightened the bolts and wallah...the key again had plenty of travel to engage the starter.;Sweet

RedTruck

Reaction score
Here's the one minus the steering wheel. Again this is on an '84 tilt wheel. It's a little dirty. I'm surprised I wasn't having problems earlier.

Attachments

• Column Minus Wheel.JPG
    Column Minus Wheel.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 15

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well-well-well...as it turns out my ignition "actuator" was not my problem at all!
As I was tearing into the steering column to replace what I thought was a broke actuator...I turned the key switch and noticed almost zero play in the key movement and the rod that goes into the ignition switch. With the steering wheel pulled off and turn signal switch guts out and steering column now hanging I diverted my attention to the actual switch that's mounted on the column. The mounting bolts weren't all that tight! So what I did was, mark a line in pencil where the switch was mounted to the column and then, move the switch up towards me just enough to hide the pencil mark...tightened the bolts and wallah...the key again had plenty of travel to engage the starter.;Sweet
So I was correct in my online diagnosis... man I'm good, lol :D

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recall is for the switch catching on fire, so yeah, get a new one if the one in there is still the original one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online