HAS ANYONE EVER TRIED THIS AIR INTAKE ????

mojoman

Reaction score
never seen one of these setups...but my first impression is that I'd need to rob a bank every filter change...I did the DYI tymar mod....was about 60 bux for parts and 40 for the filter...100 bux or there abouts..with the system you are lookin' at its 400 for the parts and then 150 bux per filter...your call but I'd keep my money in my pocket...;Sweet

mojo

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
:eek: $154 ---just for the filter :puke:
I did not spend that much on my whole system!

Here's some cross reference filter #'s
Donaldson - B105006

Luber-Finer - LAF2531

NAPA - 2790

spyder1100

Reaction score
Looks like it uses a washable filter. If not, I'd get a K&N to put in it. Looks like a good setup to isolate pulling in air from the fender instead of the engine bay.

chach3835

DIESEL BURNER HERE
Reaction score
Hey Mojo do you have a list to make that DIY cold air???? Id like to have a list to make my own.

mojoman

Reaction score
Hey Mojo do you have a list to make that DIY cold air???? Id like to have a list to make my own.

I went to napa and bought the filter(6337) and a 45 degree piece of exhaust no part #'s but your local shop should be able to help ya...its a tight fit filter to 45 but a bit of dishsoap or grease helps...good luck ...you'll love this intake!!!

mojo

chach3835

DIESEL BURNER HERE
Reaction score
I found an AIS system for 188 bucks............that to sounds like a hell of a price. Are they slightly louder than stock?? How much quieter are they than the other air intake systems?

mojoman

Reaction score
the tymar system is cheaper...you do it yourself....so you learn about your engine and components a bit....at the price of dealerships I tend to do my own repairs and maintenance....I've had my '95 since mid Sept...have swapped out GP/GPR, injector o-rings,starter, both batteries,oil change,cleaned my fuel bowl and screen, front axle shaft u-joints, rear driveshaft u-joints...take that list to a dealership and get a quote...every time I get under the truck I'm more confident and learn more about this unit...next is exhaust and coolant swap....then I'm just gonna drive it for awhile...hth

mojo

ps always check your local Intl' dealer for parts...always half price of Big Blue Oval

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My system cost $40, that was for the filter from fleetfilter (the # is 6637)
I had some 4" elbows left over from a exhaust system when I did mine but I would check at your muffler shop to see if they have something laying around. Personally I would stay completely away from any clean and oil type filters because every diesel truck I've worked on with a K&N style filter installed the air duct to the turbo would be full of dirt.

chach3835

DIESEL BURNER HERE
Reaction score
1diesel man do you have a picture of your set UP?? How loud is it can you hear the spooling? Couldn't you use PVC pipe for that ??

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic. Some have used PVC I just preferred exhaust tubing. Yes it pulls the air from under the hood but it has been proven that there is a lot of air flow under the hood between the fan and driving down the road besides the diesels don't mind a little warm air compared to a gas engine. The only time its a little noisy to me is when it spools up hard but it also sounds kind of neat.

Attachments

• 100_0143.JPG
    100_0143.JPG
    855.1 KB · Views: 14

bartard

Reaction score
I'd go with the k&n diy. go on summit racing website and type in 7.3 intake kits and just get the filter # (costs about $50) and use a 4" pipe. As for the everyone baggin on k&n I've been running my for over 2 years and my turbo is just fine! I also put a dry charger rap over it (cost $35 @ summit). Just installed a diy k&n on my brothers 95 F-250, cost around $95 and a bully dog turbo back 4" exhaust raelly opened that thing up sounds crazy, all you hear is turbo, and it added about 4mpg.