Has anybody here had a 1984 Mercedes 300D?

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
I'm about to buy a 1984 Mercedes 300D and wanted to know if someone here had one and if there are any issues with this specific engine. It's not the turbo engine, just the regular early 1984 engine. Thanks for your help!

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they all had turbos after 80 or 81, so an 84 would most certainly be factory turbo unless its a euro or engine swap or something. I had two 85 turbos, really similar to the na version - they're all great if in decent shape. They started having some problems in the 90s, especially the 350 SDL models I believe. I myself would want a turbo or manual transmission if I were getting another.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Valve adjustment valve adjustment valve adjustment. Very important. Also everything is vacume powered. From engine shutdown to trunk release and door locks.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contrary to the above reply... there are turbo and non turbo 300 D Mercedes.. if it is an SD it will have a turbo.. if it is a "D" it is non turbo. The turbo engine has internal changes and the transmission shift points are different and the rear end ratio is different.

Both are 5 cylinder engines. I presently own 3. Two are 300D one is a 300 SD. Rock solid cars to drive. Roomy and comfortable.
Fuel mileage, on average, is nearly 30 mpg. Parts are in good supply. Buy a good manual and read it. You can do most repairs yourself, just expect to pay for "Mercede$ Part$" when you buy them.

After 1985 Mercedes went to a different engine and made many changes to the car. 78 - 85 years were still built the "Mercedes way" and can and will go a million miles with regular care.. btw... valve adjustment... learn how, do it regularly.

Arborigine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Non-turbo will outlast the turbo by a factor of two, so that engine, with valve adjustments and fluid changes on schedule should be running fine at the half-million mile mark. A non-turbo with a manual trans performs nearly equal to a turbo with an automatic.. Solid design, plan on buying all your parts, German, online from APW, Autohaus Arizona, etc. cheaper than the chinese garbage offered locally.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I had an '85 300D turbo and loved it...
So long as you keep water in it, it should do fine.

If you are used to driving IDI's then you will find the 300d more than quick enough to get you down the highway. Mine never seemed lacking in the power department.

The one weird thing, as someone mentioned, is the vacuum system. Always an issue, but with a good vacuum gauge and some patience most of the issues can be sorted out easy enough. The '84 MAY have the "blue saucer" transmission shift vacuum controller which was a great upgrade over the vacuum lever valves the older auto-300's used. I know my '85 had the "blue saucer" and it shifted perfectly once the shift cable was dialed in.

I would more than gladly take another 78-85 300d any day of the week!

;Sweet

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Vacuum lines EVERYWHERE.

If MB could have figured out how to make taillights and headlights work on vacuum they would have...

:D

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Not to hijack but I havent gotten very much info from any forum about my car and the questions I have asked.
I just bought a '95 300D it has a OM606 NA engine in it.
Do the newer 300D's have the same vacuum system for the door locks also?
Does it need a valve adjustment also?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I had an 84 300 sd and loved that car to pieces. Comfortable as can be and would out corner most so called sports cars. Hard to beat factory Bilsteins ;Sweet
Just make sure its in good shape. There's nothing more expensive than a cheap mercedes :eek: Where there would be one in most cars, Merc decided it would be better to use two of everything... or more.. and they ALL have to break sooner or later. If the car has been kept up, its not generally a big issue, stuff will hit you once in a while, but if you get one that is already second or 3rd hand and has been neglected, you may get stuck with more repairs than you can stomach.

REmember to use the diesel shopping rules. Arrange to see it early and have the owner NOT start it that day before you get there so you can see the first start of teh day ( preferrably a good cold day ) if when you get there and you put your hand on the engine, it is already warm and you can tell by the exhaust manifold that it has been started.... walk away, owner is hiding something. For all you know he may have had to drag the thing on a chain in gear for 3 blocks after a half can of ether before it would fire cold and hes just waiting for some sucker to come see it fire warm to unload the thing with 90 lbs compression.

Check door locks, windows and if equipped auto trans for complete proper operation, also heater at idle, The first for vacuum operations and the later for secondary heater pump , if any of this isnt working it can all add up fast and have you cursing the thing. When you have to startt getting an education in vacuum solenoids and actuators all over a car at once and tally up the bill it can be a nightmare

if you find a one owner car that has a complete service record book from the dealer from new to current date with various repairs listed... jump on that sucker like a hound dog on a bone LOL

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Not to hijack but I havent gotten very much info from any forum about my car and the questions I have asked.
I just bought a '95 300D it has a OM606 NA engine in it.
Do the newer 300D's have the same vacuum system for the door locks also?
Does it need a valve adjustment also?

If I remember , that engine is hydraulic lifter, but the car still has the vacuum actuators Mercedes liked those as they are quieter than electric motors. , but that engine, if considering one of those cars, make sure the head has been replaced, or dont get it. THe factory heads ALL had problems, good news is that by now, I dont think there are many left that haven't had the head changed, it isn't a cheap undertaking

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Remembering my friend's '78 300D needed a new ventilation system controller, years ago. Was like a $300 dealer part in the 1980s! NEVER have seen so many vacuum lines on any component, nor since. I do remember that the power door locks were vacuum-operated, come to think of it. They popped up and down much more slowly than electric ones.

Have to agree with RLDSL that a long repair list can easily be an Autobahn-speed ride to the poorhouse.

Sorry, stumiister. I have no clue on newer 300Ds. Hoping someone can answer your questions about your '95.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contrary to the above reply... there are turbo and non turbo 300 D Mercedes.. if it is an SD it will have a turbo.. if it is a "D" it is non turbo.

A 300D, a W123 Mercedes, came in turbo and non turbo 3.0L 5 cylinder diesels, the switch to turbo happened in 81. A 300SD, a W126 Mercedes, had the same engine offering, turbo and non turbo. The "S" in front of the D has nothing to do with a turbo, they are bigger, longer, more luxurious cars.

I wouldn't buy one hoping for 30 mpg. Of the two I had, logging every tank, one tank got 28 mpg and that was when I was younger and stupider and drafted semis on long trips. A mixed city/highway average was around 22-24 with both of mine.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected. Not all 300D Mercedes are non turbo, some are. Thanks for reminding me of that.

There is a Mercedes board that is devoted to mostly the 300 series which is sort of like this one. [well.. they are Mercedes owners, so expect a "little" snob now and then]. Might be worthwhile to look in, if you own one.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a non turbo with an auo trans stuck in a pothole in front of my work!thing could not climb out of the hole.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828