hard to start

jocephus

Reaction score
my truck has just started to get hard to start it is 40deg+ in the mornings i can cycle the key of and on 4 or 5 times each time letting the wait to start light to go off and then it will start and white smokes allot whith a hint of blue and runs kinda rough then iclars up after a second and runs fine and starts fine shouldnt it start fine without the glow plugs at this temp the truck is a 01 sd f250 7.3 6spd 4x4 97k only mods are tymar and straight pipe exhaust. any help would be greatly appreciated i would like to know where to start or to just get rid of it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a typical glow plug problem to me. :dunno

jocephus

Reaction score
i know it has a glow plug relay this truck seems to have 2 is that right or am i looking at the right thing they both look like starter relays to me they are both behinde the fuel filter.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
The PSD after so many miles needs to have the glow plug system replaced. Glow plugs, relay(s), and the harnesses that go into and under the valvecovers. The other thing that happens, is that the harnesses under the valvecovers get loose, and the glowplugs on the affected side don't work. Starting becomes hard.

With only 97k on the truck, that thing hasn't broken in yet, and a late model 7.3 is extremely desireable. Just go through the system on principle. Don't sell the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle