hard to start/will not start.

Bubba_891

Reaction score
Ok guys ive had these trucks before but also been wrong on this problem. Check list here it goes.
Getting fuel - check
Glow plugs getting power- check
all other parts working but truck will just keep turning over and basically flood itself. Just got the truck 3 days ago guy said glow plugs were new but I think its a lie because when I warm them and then turn over the truck the ENGINE TEMP light comes on below the glow plug light.What yall think glow plugs or something else??

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tested the glow plugs with a test light or ohm meter?

Quick run down:
  • Disconnect ALL EIGHT glow plugs from their harness. Make sure the harness does not touch any plugs or the manifold as this could screw the results.
  • Connect plug from your testlight to the POSITIVE (+) battery terminal.
  • Touch the probe of your test light to each glow plug tip where the harness connects.
  • You get light? Good. You're now 85% sure that plug is good. Only way to be 100% sure is testing via ohm meter, but 85% is good enough for me. ;)
  • No light? Make sure you've got a good contact on the tip. If you're sure, the plug is dead.
  • Repeat for the other 7 cylinders.
Ohm meter method is similar. Check between the tip and ground (body of plug).
  • If meter reads infinite, replace plug.
  • If meter reads >1 ohm, replace plug.
  • If meter reads <1 ohm, but not dead short, you're good to go.
  • If meter reads dead short, replace plug.
Otherwise, I'd shoot a bit of ******* in a can (ether) into the intake and see if she fires off. Of course, do this only after disconnecting the glow plug controller in case one plug is actually heating and ignites the ether causing bad juju, possibly releasing the magic smoke dragon that makes things work properly. When that magic smoke dragon escapes, there is usually no turning back.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep I concur check the glow plugs for proper operation and make sure that your fuel shut off solenoid is getting good power. Do you hear a click from inside the the top cover of the injection pump? might turn the key to the on position and physically remove and reconnect the wire to FSS to verify the click. Also might loosen the injection lines at the injectors to make sure you are getting fuel all the way out to the injectors - this will also bleed any air if it's there out of the fuel system.

as stated glow plugs cold will read around 1 ohm with an ohm meter - I have personally never seen a dead shorted glow plug but that doesn't mean it can't happen - just I have never seen one yet. If they are around 1 ohm I call them good - on my fluke brand meter she will beep and show less than one ohm on it's display and mine work just fine. On hot glow plugs that were glowing red on the bench when I threw the meter to them I have seen as high as 30 ohm but it was dropping fast.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A diesel can't flood like a gas engine can. The more diesel in the cylinder means more power for that cylinder. A diesel always has a wide open air flow to the engine. Power and rpm is dependant on the amount of fuel in each cylinder. So you can be flooding the diesel. If someone told you that please disregaurd them all together. They have no business advising you whats going on in a diesel engine. A diesel engine fires off from the heat of the highly compressed air. Nothing else causes the diesel to ignite. The glow plug helps fire it off in cold weather but thats all. Now to make the air hot enough to ignite the diesel you have to compress it fast. Quickly compressed air will get hot fast. So a slow cranking engine will have a tuff time creating enough cranking heat to ignite the fuel too. This forum recommends the gear reduction starters because they spin the engine so fast. A slow cranking engine because of dirty battery connections or low charge can't spin the engine fast enough either. My Mistubishi gear reduction starter spins my engine soo fast you can could the revs. It fires in less than 1 rev too. So have clean battery connections. A good starter and a good charge too. Not much more to say about that. If the engine is not getting fuel then we can help with that to but we need many questions answered before thats a topic for conversation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online