Hard to start, need a little guidance--

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
Guys,
I've seen some threads on here about hard starting, but since I didn't have the problem, I didn't pay much attention (I'll learn one day!).
Anyway, the truck (94 IDI), when I bought it last fall was in good working order. I had a remote starter installed and it worked very well. The duration of the starter when engaged by the remote is about 2 seconds, and it started every time.
Now the truck requires a longer time to start. It doesn't seem to matter whether the engine is warm or not, I still have to wait for the light to go out or it won't start. I have noticed a little white smoke when started 1st thing in the morning ( and I seem to remember that this is an indicator of some problem with fuel) and some times during the day I will get a light or white colored smoke on start up.
Today, while 100 miles out of town, my crew stopped to eat, and the truck wouldn't start afterwards. They ran the battery low trying to start it, and fortunately someone had a jump box and got them going. I have put the truck on a trickle charger for tonight, and will take it to a battery shop in the morning. This is just in case there is a weak battery. The hard starting I need some more guidance with.
I'm dangerously informed, and before I go chasing parts, please aim me in the right direction. If I had to go from memory on what I read in the past, I would guess there is a fuel leak, or a fuel delivery problem like maybe a lift pump. If that is actually a possibility, would an electric pump fix it? If so I have a spare one in case my Bobcat needed another.
Anyway I sure could use some direction from you guys.
Thanks,
Chuck

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's your cranking speed? If slow that will make it hard to start. Check battery connections and cables first before blaming batteries.

It could be an injection pump on it's way out. Especially if it's harder to start warm after sitting for 20 minutes or longer. This was my initial symptom. Eventually it was damn near impossible to start anytime. Also, I just replaced the injection pump and it has considerably less white smoke than before. Could be a coincidence but definitely look here.

That's the extent of my experiences but I am sure others will add to what I've said. Good luck

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
White smoke is an idication of fuel without combustion. Typical of an engine spinning well, but cold, with non functioning glow plugs. If it does that while hot, then I would think cranking speed is the issue. If you get heat soak on a bad pump, there just won't be any smoke at all.

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
OK Mel,
From having read your posts, I know you are sharp on these trucks. I'm not. I don't know what you mean by heat soak. All I can tell you is that if I don't wait for the light to go out hot or cold, it's not going to start. I had assumed that this meant the glow plugs were working though.
Thanks,
Chuck

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heat soak is a problem that happens with worn pumps, when they are subjected to a shut down engine that is radiating heat. The pump expands from the heat and the large tolerances created by wear exceed the operable limits, and the pump no longer functions until it cools off. When a pump is in operation the fuel moving through it cools it sufficiently to prevent this issue, and the radiant heat is reduced by the air moving into the engine compartment. Most hot engines will start without glow plugs. The Moosestang routinely is started at lunch time having sat since 7:30am all summer long without glow plugs. Your problem sounds mostly to me like a starter RPM issue. You can't generate heat from compression due to the slow spin and the glow plugs are your only source of heat for ignition.

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. For what its worth, if you'll recall Tim or IDIeselman sold a 94 CC Conversion dually that was very nice last fall. This is that truck.
Today i took the truck to the battery shop and learned something new! My batteries were "worn out". I've never heard of such. "dead" I'm familiar with, "dead cell" sure, but "worn out" was a new one on me.
The batteries, after a full charge, showed "good" in every cell with a hydrometer, but with the load test one fell to 6 volts and 200 amps, and the other to 8 volts and 300 amps.
So, two new batteries later, the thing starts like it did the day I bought it, and NO SMOKE! So Big Red rides again. Thanks for the response's (sp?).
Thanks,
Chuck

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yep from working in a parts store you have to load test them sometimes. was always a good way to show customers visually there batteries dropping instead of just telling them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle