hard starting

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I am prepping the 87 to be my daily driver since the sal of the Nissan a couple of months ago.
I put in the new batts, as before the truck is hard starting. Its still over a hundred degrees outside so although my glowplugs are bad it sould still start fairly eaisly, right? I have the new good gp to install but I think there is more to this problem, Air? where would air enter the system?

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a similar issue. for me, it starts up just fine, then randomly, a couple seconds later it dies, and requires a couple minutes of crankin to fire again. i have it narrowed down to either a leaky return line, causin loss of prime, or a leaky fuel line, allowin fuel to drain down, away from the pump and hence, allowin air into it. i know for a fact my return lines let fuel out, i just dont know if they let air in. anyways, might be a good startin point for you at least.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
So far the best idea I've seen to get air out besides maintaing your fuel lines and all connections is to just get rid of the stock mechanical fuel pump and put an electric one in there. That way when you turn the key on and the glow plugs are burning, the electric pump is already working to pressurize the system and push the air out.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
2x on Silver Burner, I had the same problem, I put a Carrier pump on the passenger well well, never had the problem again.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Anytime you have fuel leaking out air is being sucked in. You can even have air being sucked in without actually seeing a wet spot. An electric lift pump like the Carrier is a good way to keep the air out and the system primed but... Its not going to repair the leak that you have. Its kinda a band aid till you find the leak and fix it...

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the new batts the truck turns over like never before but still wont fire until I hit it with a shot of starting fluid. That being said,the thought is that my mechanical fuel pump is sucking back while allowing air in? that makes sense, if the truck has been shut off within a couple of hours pressure is still good enough to allow starting much more that a couple of hours starting fluid or extra long cranking is needed.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Personally, I can't ever start any of my IDI's (and I own 3) without the glow plugs for at least 5 seconds when the engine is hot. If it's hot outside and the engine is cold, no chance at all of getting them started without a full cycle of 8-10 seconds. 2 of my 3 are manual push button GP's. The automatic might only click for 2-3 seconds, but it still uses them. If I were you, I'd fix the glow plug problem before you go chasing anything else. Fix the problems you know you have before you try to find something that may or may not be causing other issues.

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lindstromjd, your absolutely right and I will be starting with the gp however Im pretty sure the fuel pump is getting weak. Im confident that either one or both solutions will fix my issue