Hard starting when warm?

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just recently my truck started becoming hard to start in the summer heat once warm. I already replaced the glow plugs last yr with fresh Beru units. The entire fuel system is new minus the pump and injectors.

Thanks,

Dustin

1992 IDI

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just recently my truck started becoming hard to start in the summer heat once warm. I already replaced the glow plugs last yr with fresh Beru units. The entire fuel system is new minus the pump and injectors.

Thanks,

Dustin

1992 IDI
I'd say if that's the case NEW is not what the entire fuel system is....the IP and injectors are very important and from what symptoms you describe, the IP is at fault...next time if it's hard to start...stop cranking...pour some cold water on the IP wait a few moments...try starting again..if good to go..it's IP

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... The moose pumps are available. If the cold water works try this. Add some atf or motor oil to the fuel next fillup. This will increase the viscosity of the fuel and may help to start the engine. But the pump may be on its last leggs...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would furnace fuel oil possibley be too thin for warm weather and cause warm start issues? If so I'll just add some 20/50 to my next free top up...LOL as it's worked great up till last few days...and its quite a bit warmer now...but truck runs great!

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To riotwarrier, I don't think furnace oil is the problem.....but high concentrations will naturally cause very slight starting hiccups due to its chemical makeup (meaning diesel fuel ignites better to aid in efficient starting). If you just recently had this issue, it could be something else. Heck...a glowplug could have burnt itself out causing hard starting. We would need to know more about your hard starting situation. Perhaps a new thread too?? We need to know cranking duration, length of time it has been doing this, and engine maintenance information!

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck has to crank for 4 or more seconds with the pedal on the floor. Slowly starts to take then starts. Once running truck runs fine. Cold water did nothing.

sassyrel

Reaction score
its a ip issue..and there is NO difference,,between no 2 fuel oil,,and no 2 diesel..only the color..and dont use COLD water..use tepid,,and even then,,wait i minute before cranking,,or you MAY, break off the ip shaft.. and YES,, it happened to me,,so i aint blowing smoke,,or just flapping my lips....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online