hard start

BlueCrew

Reaction score
94 F250 IDI Turbo I put a new starter solenoid on I got in turned the key to the WTS an herd a huming sound coming from the GP controller I had a good one so I put it on Now my GPs aren't gettint hot enough I tested the control unit with a ohmmeter,checked wiring harness an the relay has 12.90 volts with the key off All the GPs are good :dunno

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
You have to make sure the relay is sending power to the plugs. A test light or volt meter on/in the glow plug socket connection would confirm this.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard the humming sound from the controller. You were right to replace it, though I used mine for about a week afterward, sound and all. Are you sure you put the right wires on the right posts? I don't mean to insult your intelligence, I have a video I made of mine before I took the wires off the first time and I can't count how many times I've referred back to it to make sure I'm doing it right. I can email it to ya if you want.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sound typically is caused by the high current draw through the relay. The best way to test to see if a relay is working is to put a test light or voltmeter across the large lugs on the relay. When the relay is OFF, there will be battery voltage. When the relay closes, it should drop to zero. Anything above zero represents a voltage loss through the contactor, and indicates that the contacts are not 100% able to carry the current. Replaceing a whole controller for just a bad relay, is only asking for more trouble.

BlueCrew

Reaction score
I went out today an test everthing found my relay was bad put a new one on run like new thanks for the help an the replies

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online