hard start problems

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my buddy has a 95 2wd cummins and at 70 F it is hard to start sputters like it normaly would at 0 F what could cause this?

Whit

Reaction score
change the fuel filter and if that dont work the lift pump is prolly weak

also he may have some tired injectors that leak down

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was thinking it was the injectors it has @ 208000 on it when it warms up it runs great but gettin it to start is another thing

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok changed all the above and still the same prob. is there anything else that would cause this... it dosent fire on all cylinders on a cold start but after it warms up a bit it runs great

goehill

Reaction score
I hate to say it but I had a yard truck with first gen. that was doing the same thing, turned out to be the inj pump. take, it to someone who can check the inj. pump out put preasure.that was my problem, changed the pump and it was fine.

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would that be a possibility with a sec. gen cummins too i dont think he would want to replace the ip since they are really expensive

goehill

Reaction score
dose it have a p-pump? could be but i would have the compression checked and if thats ok have the inj. pump preasure checked. i had the local cummins dealer come out to check mine it was a lot cheaper than just replacing parts. or take it in.

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea it has the p pump on it.. ok thanks i will try and find somewhere capable of doing this

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe the injectors are bad we put a used set in i think i will get those checked first

hdsidehack

Reaction score
sounds like you have a leak down problem
air in the fuel?
try installing a check valve on the rubber fuel line behind the fuel filter
these check valves are directional --->
btw don't install it on the return line lol
this will stop the siphon effect of trying to return the fuel to the tank

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably a dumb ? but what would be the cause of a leak down problem... thanks for the tip i will have to try that here soon

hdsidehack

Reaction score
leak down (cracked fuel line, leak in the fuel pre-heater, & overflow valve)
what the check valve does is stop the reverse flow of fuel back to the tank
vacuum leaks can be hard to find
much rather chase a high pressure leak (wet fuel line, wet fittings, & extra dirt migrating to the area)
frustrating problems enough to make the pope cuss!!!!!!!
how does the truck run once it starts and clears up?
does it start better for the rest of the day?
excessive smoke?
run smooth?

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright its been awhile since i messed with it i finally got to go for a drive more than just around the yard took it around town a bit and it runs fairly good once it warms up i cracked the injector lines at the injectors today rite after i started it up and got a bunch of bubbles at each cylinder so i am deffinately getting air in the system some where i just dont know where some times it starts rite up and other times it cranks for a bit then spits and cuss's like a sailor before smoothing out but once warm no smoke at all boosts up good can hit 20+ in any gear (gauge only goes to 20 for now) any suggestions as to where to look for air leak would be great...

i bypassed the fuel preheater
thanks brian

hdsidehack

Reaction score
vise grips

Take a pair and clamp of the supply line at the rear of the head when you turn the engine off. Let it sit overnight and try to start it the next day. If it starts right up pull the pliers off. That means you have a leak on the supply side. Install a oneway check valve in the line.

Greg