Hard cold starts -tuneup time?

mooseracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a '94 F350 with a IDI 7.3 non turbo. Has about 165k miles on the clock, runs good, at least to me.

This is my first venture out of the gasahol world. I'm having some issues with cold engine starts. It doesn't matter if it is 50F up to currently 80F.

When Key On Engine Off, the WTS light is on 5-10 seconds, then I crank 5-10 seconds which it acts like it wants to fire or it does fire then dies. Then usually the second try it starts up and idles a little low than kicks up to the higher idle. It also emits the blacker smoke during this time and also black smoke when driving until the engine starts to warm up. It also seems to not want to get above 45mph or so during that time, kinda chugging along.

Once warm there is no smoke and it runs great down the road. 90% of the time it fires up right away as well.

I was planning on changing the fuel filter tonight, since I don't know when that was last done and also changing transmission fluid and filter. Also picking up the SCA filter kit setup from NAPA. What else should I be looking at for my issues on the cold running?

Thanks

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Check out the return lines (small diameter hoses and black or grey caps on top of the injectors) if there are any wet spots, you could have air getting into the fuel system. Air is a killer on these engines, once air gets into the injection pump it takes a while to get out.

Also, any way of knowing if the injectors or the pump has been replaced within those last 165k miles? 100k miles is the life expectancy on these components, if they've never been changed, you could have issues there.

Sounds like the glow plugs are working OK, 10 seconds WTS light seems about right unless it's really cold out.

The fact that it's a dog when first started says there is a definate possibility it need some fuel system tune up'age.

Your on the right track though, welcome to the forum!

;Sweet

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Also, don't know how much perusing you've done on the forum yet, but check out the "Tech articles" section for all kinds of good stuff.

mooseracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured I would update, I have more of white smoke issue, not a coolant smell. I have dealt with coolant burning before, and I wouldn't say this is it.

It seems to puff a little white when idling warm or cold, and white when shifting above 2k RPM. I changed the fuel filter and filled it up with one of the cleaners I picked up at NAPA that recommended filling the filter with it. Ran about 500 miles this weekend and no changed, still somewhat slow cold starts and a few cranks for warm starts.

Yesterday was probably my worst start yet, 3-4 sets of 5 second crankings to get it to fire even, at 90F outside temp. I used the schraeder valve when I got home and there seemed to be some froth there than fine. I also cracked each injector to make sure they were bled. But if I am getting air in somewhere, kind of pointless.

I noticed this weekend going down the hwy above 55mph, there is a miss ever so often, almost like air and not fuel. But if decell or accell, no problems. I pulled some hay wagons and even a tandem setup without issue, granted it was at 25mph.

For the HWY I averaged about 14mpg, which I didn't consider bad for a 4wd F350 Crewcab. My modified F150 only gets about 10 on it's good days.

I just ordered injectors and return lines from Russ, so hopefully things will get better next week.

mooseracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the Diesel Turns continues its regular episode......I threw in some Motocrap GP's on Sunday, all the originals so far have been Beru's. Number 7 decided to stay in the head, the nut part came off along with the top, so I have about 1/8" sticking up out of the head.

I'm beginning to think i am f'ed. I've tried the cranking trick, It has soaked a day in PB blaster, it is now soaking in Seafoam to see if it can break anything loose.

I pulled the injector to take a look and see how the vaccum trick might work if I knock it down, wow that hole is small inside the head to suck it out of. This blows......At least on the bright side, it starts great now. -cuss

FordGuy100

Reaction score
If I were in your shoes....I would pull the head. The thought of passing a glow plug sounds about as good as passing a kidney stone.

mooseracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I won the first round....I don't have a way to get a cherry picker right now LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

It's off though
You must be registered for see images attach

Problem now is how to pass a damn glow plug through the tiny hole on the inside of the head. Right now the glow plug won't go further down in the head and its not coming out the hole -cuss

Ideas?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
with all that smoke it Sounds Like your timing is off too. Might want to get that looked at when you get her all back together

mooseracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has been a long past 2 days, I took half days at work so I could get the truck done, as I need to do alot of crap around the farm before snow falls. Took it for a test no issues besides a squealy belt above 1500rpm.

After working on this and my inline gasser, I think I will be looking for a cummins if I ever need another motor.

Runs good now with new injectors and return lines from Russ, as well as replacing what I think were the factory Motorcraft plugs. From everything I can tell, I don't think anyone has worked on this engine previously.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online