harbor freight portable tire changer workout.

fordsrawesome

Reaction score
hey guys just wondering if anyone else on here has tried to mount 10ply load E's on a manual tire changer I have done two so far and talk about SUCK. wow its hard, but only to mount other than that i can't complain it will rip the tire right off but if you don't have two people putting one on is a chore I had to do two and then take a break. so beware to anyone who tries this it is not for the faint of heart lol

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Shoot what's a tire changer?....
I've used irons and sledges.

Ya know most places will mount and balance tires for like $10 per tire...

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one works great on car tires, but not so much with anything heavier, and with the amount of time I spend changing tires, it is easier for me to change them by myself with a few irons, down to about 10 minutes a tire haha

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't ask for pictures; I can't do them.

I have changed numerous LR-E DRW and SRW wheels/tires on my simple Harbor Freight tire-changer --- and I have access to a complete tire-shop full of the latest air- and electric-driven changers, Coats, Hunter, Corgi, Ranger, etc.

Trick #1 is BOLT the changer down to the floor.

Trick #2 is drill through the changer "table" and bolt an old 8-lug brake-rotor through four of the holes with extra-long bolts, such that there is sufficient thread-length remaining above the nuts that hold the rotor onto the changer to mount the wheel onto the remaining threads and secure it with four nuts.

Bolting the wheel to the brake-rotor is a lot more secure than trying to use the little four-legged gizmo that is supplied with the changer.

There is a many many paged discussion on the Harbor Freight changer at the tractorbynet site.

All that being said, I have changed countless tires with nothing more than a couple of flat-ended crow-bars or tire-irons or whatever was available at the time.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My favorite is my big 2 foot long screwdriver, works better than any tire iron I have used

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd rather change the 16" 10 ply than an 8" or 12" trailer tire lol

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try getting an atv tire bead off the rim. Gawd those suck

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try getting an atv tire bead off the rim. Gawd those suck

Second that! Apparently it is easier to get them off if leave a little pressure in them. When I tried I completely deflated it, used pry bars, c-clamps, them put my tractor loader on the damn thing - no joy. Took it to a shop and $20 later it was patched and ready to go back into the bush.

I will build a manual tire changer that uses a trailer receiver as an anchor... hopefully next time i will be able to service it myself.

Midnight, are you a member at TBN? My handle is mwb on TBN. I posted a home built quick attach (skid steer) that I made for my tractor. Currently building a cab for my tractor but that is not posted on TBN yet.

jas88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try getting an atv tire bead off the rim. Gawd those suck.

+1. Luckily we were putting new tires on so I cut the tire off of the bead with a box knife and then cut the bead with a cut-off wheel. My Coats 40-40 was no help on the ATV beads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online

No members online now.